Old 26-02-2010, 01:46 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default To those of a sensitive nature please don't read

This morning my cat attacked a dove, the wing had been destroyed, I
believed the dove was dead. so I put it in a plastic bag.
Later in the morning my daughter went to put it in the bin! Unfortunately it
was alive. She screamed out to me.
I (deep breath) tried to wring it's neck, didn't work, so I hit it's neck
with a spade the sand was too soft. Finally on the paving it was over.
I can't stop crying. I just wish I could have done a quick job.
What's the quickest way to humanely do this?
I don't have a man in my life so I have to face this on my own...
Thankyou for your help
Linda Perth WA

Old 26-02-2010, 03:37 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda" wrote in message
This morning my cat attacked a dove, the wing had been destroyed, I
believed the dove was dead. so I put it in a plastic bag.
Later in the morning my daughter went to put it in the bin! Unfortunately
it was alive. She screamed out to me.
I (deep breath) tried to wring it's neck, didn't work, so I hit it's neck
with a spade the sand was too soft. Finally on the paving it was over.
I can't stop crying. I just wish I could have done a quick job.
What's the quickest way to humanely do this?
I don't have a man in my life so I have to face this on my own...
Thankyou for your help
Linda Perth WA

I remember having chooks when I was younger. One got sick and my father
decided to put it out of its misery. He decided to be humane as possible and
grabbed a mallet. Unfortunately it took a lot of hits to do the job.

So don't feel bad about it just remember the next time to make it quick.

Old 26-02-2010, 04:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

Linda wrote:

This morning my cat attacked a dove, the wing had been destroyed, I believed the dove was dead. so I put it in a
plastic bag.
Later in the morning my daughter went to put it in the bin!
Unfortunately it was alive. She screamed out to me.
I (deep breath) tried to wring it's neck, didn't work, so I hit it's
neck with a spade the sand was too soft. Finally on the paving it was over. I can't stop crying. I just wish I could
have done a quick job.
What's the quickest way to humanely do this?

Gas it with the car exhaust if you cant work out how to wring its neck.

You use a grey water hose on the car exhaust and do it with a cold engine.

Thats how they dispose of starlings and indian mynahs caught in traps etc.

I don't have a man in my life so I have to face this on my own...

Old 26-02-2010, 04:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

Rod Speed wrote:
Linda wrote:

This morning my cat attacked a dove, the wing had been destroyed, I
believed the dove was dead. so I put it in a plastic bag.
Later in the morning my daughter went to put it in the bin!
Unfortunately it was alive. She screamed out to me.
I (deep breath) tried to wring it's neck, didn't work, so I hit it's
neck with a spade the sand was too soft. Finally on the paving it
was over. I can't stop crying. I just wish I could have done a quick
job.

What's the quickest way to humanely do this?

Gas it with the car exhaust if you cant work out how to wring its neck.

You use a grey water hose on the car exhaust and do it with a cold engine.

With a single bird, its even easier to just put the bag over the
car exhaust with some sticky tape etc and a few holes in the bag.

Old 26-02-2010, 08:25 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:46:26 +0800, "Linda" wrote:

This morning my cat attacked a dove, the wing had been destroyed, I
believed the dove was dead. so I put it in a plastic bag.
Later in the morning my daughter went to put it in the bin! Unfortunately it
was alive. She screamed out to me.
I (deep breath) tried to wring it's neck, didn't work, so I hit it's neck
with a spade the sand was too soft. Finally on the paving it was over.
I can't stop crying. I just wish I could have done a quick job.
What's the quickest way to humanely do this?
I don't have a man in my life so I have to face this on my own...
Thankyou for your help
Linda Perth WA

Either give it back to the cat to finish off or use the dreaded spade of destiny with a
downwards chopping motion.

Old 26-02-2010, 09:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

Rod Speed wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Linda wrote:

[...]

A cruel and nasty way to finish it of but from you not unexpected in
it's cowardice
Old 26-02-2010, 09:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Linda wrote:
This morning my cat attacked a dove, the wing had been destroyed, I
believed the dove was dead. so I put it in a plastic bag.
Later in the morning my daughter went to put it in the bin! Unfortunately it
was alive. She screamed out to me.
I (deep breath) tried to wring it's neck, didn't work, so I hit it's neck
with a spade the sand was too soft. Finally on the paving it was over.
I can't stop crying. I just wish I could have done a quick job.
What's the quickest way to humanely do this?
I don't have a man in my life so I have to face this on my own...
Thankyou for your help
Linda Perth WA

If you can't illicit the assistance of a neighbour you break the neck

apply strong thump pressure about 1/2 way between the head and
shoulder sideways with the thumb and a soft "click" will indicate the
animals demise or if unable to physically handle this a firm surface and
a sharp spade edge applied with good force to the throat , quick and
with minimum pain
Old 27-02-2010, 01:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

Linda wrote:

What's the quickest way to humanely do this?

cruel heartless ******* warning lol, wait till you have to do a cat.
Trying to bust their head with a sledge just busts your path up.

There isn't really a "humane" way.
You could either put it in a bog some where safe from the cat untl it
dies, or drown it.

At one stage you could get real chloroform from the chemists (regular
use for rabbits with mixo). now all you can get is chlorowater which
does nothing.

You will probably never have to do it again, but if you could try the
rabbit neck stretch method. Hold body in one hand, pull head down with
other whilst rotating head backwards until it cracks = one dead bunny.
Old 27-02-2010, 01:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

Either give it back to the cat to finish off or use the dreaded spade of destiny with a
downwards chopping motion.

Sandy soil = the accussing eye.

Old 27-02-2010, 02:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda" wrote in message
This morning my cat attacked a dove, the wing had been destroyed, I
believed the dove was dead. so I put it in a plastic bag.
Later in the morning my daughter went to put it in the bin! Unfortunately
it was alive. She screamed out to me.
I (deep breath) tried to wring it's neck, didn't work, so I hit it's neck
with a spade the sand was too soft. Finally on the paving it was over.
I can't stop crying. I just wish I could have done a quick job.
What's the quickest way to humanely do this?
I don't have a man in my life so I have to face this on my own...

Terryc's mention of bunney killing is one way or the other is to remove it's
head entirely. I'd use an axe and a wooden block but you could do the same
thing using a kitchen meat cleaver (one of the ones with a straight vs a
curved edge so a Chinese one rather than a Japanese one) and a stout bit of
wood on a solid surface. Hold the bird by the feet with it's back up and
lay its head on the block. Chop it on the neck with sufficient force to
remove the head in one blow. If need be, practice chopping a carrot in one
blow to get your eye in before subjecting the bird to potentially more
trauma from a sloppy job.

Old 27-02-2010, 02:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda" wrote in message
This morning my cat attacked a dove, the wing had been destroyed, I
believed the dove was dead. so I put it in a plastic bag.
Later in the morning my daughter went to put it in the bin! Unfortunately
it was alive. She screamed out to me.
I (deep breath) tried to wring it's neck, didn't work, so I hit it's neck
with a spade the sand was too soft. Finally on the paving it was over.
I can't stop crying. I just wish I could have done a quick job.
What's the quickest way to humanely do this?
I don't have a man in my life so I have to face this on my own...
Thankyou for your help
Linda Perth WA

i'm very sorry you are upset about this (i would be too - there is nothing
worse than a killing that just doesn't work - it just makes you feel worse.
also, i think killing comes more easily to men [generally speaking] for
longstanding biological reasons, so you have my sympathy [i ask dh to do the
killing round here, & i do most of the growing & don't consider that's
unfair exactly].)

in the situation above, i would firstly say neck-wringing can go wrong even
if it goes right (the whole head can come off in your hand). cutting its
head off with a spade is a good idea under the circumstances & now you know
you need a hard surface to do it on, so you won't make that mistake again.

with a small animal/bird, you could always drown it in a bucket (holding
wings/legs closely to body). i do not, and have never, felt that drowning is
cruel. it is quick & more peaceful for everyone.

i hope you are feeling better about it today. what you did was NOT wrong, it
just didn't go well this time.
kylie

Old 27-02-2010, 03:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

Terryc wrote
Linda wrote

What's the quickest way to humanely do this?

cruel heartless ******* warning lol, wait till you have to do a cat.
Trying to bust their head with a sledge just busts your path up.

There isn't really a "humane" way.

Yes there is. Gassing them with the car exhaust is the official humane way.

Old 27-02-2010, 06:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

atec 77" "atec 77 wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Linda wrote:

[...]

The bird passes out and then dies from carbon monoxide poisoning, it is
quick and fairly painless. If one does not have the ability to break its
neck or decapitate it in one go it seems a reasonable alternative to me.
Please explain why this is cruel and nasty.

David

Old 27-02-2010, 06:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

Linda wrote:
This morning my cat attacked a dove, the wing had been destroyed, I
believed the dove was dead. so I put it in a plastic bag.
Later in the morning my daughter went to put it in the bin!
Unfortunately it was alive. She screamed out to me.
I (deep breath) tried to wring it's neck, didn't work, so I hit it's
neck with a spade the sand was too soft. Finally on the paving it was
over. I can't stop crying. I just wish I could have done a quick job.
What's the quickest way to humanely do this?
I don't have a man in my life so I have to face this on my own...
Thankyou for your help
Linda Perth WA

Most of us don't have much practice killing things so when it becomes
necessary to dispatch small animals or birds or goldfish it can be a
problem. Lacking such practice swinging an implement accurately to do the
job in one hit can be hard. The answer is don't swing it, place it. Dig a
grave and place the bird in it. Take your spade and place the edge (your
spade does have sharp edge doesn't it) across the neck and then quickly
apply your best foot strongly as if you were cutting turf. Fill in the
hole. This will work first time every time and not leave a mess.

David

Old 27-02-2010, 02:36 PM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
atec 77" "atec 77 wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Linda wrote:

[...]

I suggest you try it personally and you will know
it is very cruel imho