Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default First frost for the year...

....last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot of
tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot of
tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas

Bummer! Hope our first frost is not on its way for a while (in SE SA) - I have *lots* of green tomatoes!

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com
Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot
of tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas

So what is your probable frost-free period of the year? How does that limit
what you can grow?

David

Old 05-03-2010, 03:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

Anne Chambers wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot of
tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas

Bummer! Hope our first frost is not on its way for a while (in SE SA) -
I have *lots* of green tomatoes!

Good luck!

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-03-2010, 03:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot
of tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas

So what is your probable frost-free period of the year?

Not a lot... safe to say frost-free between Jan and mid Feb. I'm not
joking
It's been known to have frost here on Xmas day, and we had out first
frost here this year on 28th Feb.
Aside from the above - most frosts seem to occur between April and October.

How does that limit what you can grow?

Well, I'm still learning a lot, having only lived here for about 18 months.
Most of my gardening experience is in the tropics, so basically I'm
learning all over again.

The only real problem is frost - we get quite severe frosts here, which
is fine for many Brassicas and Parsnips.

I have a couple of temporary hot houses for the time being, until I can
build the one I really want. The hot house does help, although by no
means protects against frost. I do know a few locals growing veggies
('local' being within the same shire - my property is fairly isolated)
and I do need to write down the times they plant their veg.
I've been going by the instructions on the seed packets, or what info I
can find online - which so far doesn't really suit the conditions here,
so it seems.
Been looking for satisfactory methods for supplementary heating for the
hothouse - "satisfactory" meaning not fueled from non-local sources like
gas or electricity. I know of one local who adapted a wood heater, but
of course very tricky regulating the heat... and he did have one
disaster where he melted the plastic using this method

I've also learned many times over that in general, claims by nurseries
of a given plant or tree being 'frost hardy' is a load of you-know-what!

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a
lot of tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the
climate here in N.E Tas

So what is your probable frost-free period of the year?

Not a lot... safe to say frost-free between Jan and mid Feb. I'm not
joking
It's been known to have frost here on Xmas day, and we had out first
frost here this year on 28th Feb.
Aside from the above - most frosts seem to occur between April and
October.

That sort of variation must be a real killer. I bet you don't have a big
problem with cabbage moth though.

How does that limit what you can grow?

Well, I'm still learning a lot, having only lived here for about 18
months. Most of my gardening experience is in the tropics, so
basically I'm learning all over again.

Tell me about it......

I went from 1/6 acre to 50 acres, from sand to clay and from coastal
moderated climate (8C to 34C) to no maritime effect (-6C to 44C).

[...]

Oh yes. We planted 75 "frost hardy" acacias which grew from 30cm to 140cm
in 7 months through the warmer months. The first hard frost hit and 65
turned black and dropped dead.

David

Old 05-03-2010, 07:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Jeßus wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
[...]

On the positive side 10 survived.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a
lot of tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the
climate here in N.E Tas

So what is your probable frost-free period of the year?

Not a lot... safe to say frost-free between Jan and mid Feb. I'm not
joking
It's been known to have frost here on Xmas day, and we had out first
frost here this year on 28th Feb.
Aside from the above - most frosts seem to occur between April and
October.

That sort of variation must be a real killer. I bet you don't have a big
problem with cabbage moth though.

You'd lose that bet, unfortunately for me
I think the cabbage months first made their presence felt here about
two months ago, I try to spray the brassicas with dipel once a week... I
often forget though.

The other insect problem I have here is sawfly larvae, which have made a
mess of my young cherries, pears - and now they're starting on my plum
and prune trees. Again, using dipel on these, as it seems to be the only
organic spray I know of that seems to help.

snip
I went from 1/6 acre to 50 acres, from sand to clay and from coastal
moderated climate (8C to 34C) to no maritime effect (-6C to 44C).

I'm also a fair way inland, previously right on the coastline.

snip
I've also learned many times over that in general, claims by nurseries
of a given plant or tree being 'frost hardy' is a load of
you-know-what!

Oh yes. We planted 75 "frost hardy" acacias which grew from 30cm to
140cm in 7 months through the warmer months. The first hard frost hit
and 65 turned black and dropped dead.

Frustrating, isn't it?

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeßus View Post
....last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot of
tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
good luck for that matter JeAyus..just be patient, they will all grow as you wish..
vegetable garden

First Frost - NE GA GA Pinhead Edible Gardening 5 15-11-2004 03:48 PM
First frost Sacha United Kingdom 25 15-11-2004 09:23 AM
First Frost Pam Edible Gardening 2 18-11-2003 12:02 AM
preparing (tomatoes0 for first frost in Colorado Front Range Stephen Younge Edible Gardening 5 23-09-2003 08:02 AM
preparing (tomatoes0 for first frost in Colorado Front Range Stephen Younge Gardening 6 23-09-2003 08:02 AM