Old 14-03-2010, 01:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default How to garden in clayish poorly drained soil

Hi guys,

My wife and I have just bought a house in Brisbane and we plan to fill
the yard with fruit trees and gardens.

The soil in the area tends to be a clay type soil on top of shale. It
takes a lot to get wet, but once wet stays that way for weeks.

I'm wondering two things:

1. For trees such as citrus, what is the best thing to do to give them
the best chance of a fruitful life? I noticed some people heap the dirt.

2. What plants/tees like poorly drained soil? I'm planning on putting
some taros in at the bottom and having a water tank overflow onto them,
maybe some mint in the same area.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Lionel.
Old 14-03-2010, 03:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

Lionel wrote:
Hi guys,

My wife and I have just bought a house in Brisbane and we plan to fill
the yard with fruit trees and gardens.

The soil in the area tends to be a clay type soil on top of shale. It
takes a lot to get wet, but once wet stays that way for weeks.

I'm wondering two things:

1. For trees such as citrus, what is the best thing to do to give them
the best chance of a fruitful life? I noticed some people heap the dirt.

2. What plants/tees like poorly drained soil? I'm planning on putting
some taros in at the bottom and having a water tank overflow onto them,
maybe some mint in the same area.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Lionel.

Google for additional solutions but gypsum usually helps a good deal in
conditioning the soil
Old 14-03-2010, 03:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

Lionel wrote:
Hi guys,

My wife and I have just bought a house in Brisbane and we plan to fill
the yard with fruit trees and gardens.

The soil in the area tends to be a clay type soil on top of shale. It
takes a lot to get wet, but once wet stays that way for weeks.

I'm wondering two things:

1. For trees such as citrus, what is the best thing to do to give them
the best chance of a fruitful life? I noticed some people heap the dirt.

2. What plants/tees like poorly drained soil? I'm planning on putting
some taros in at the bottom and having a water tank overflow onto them,
maybe some mint in the same area.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Lionel.

I don't know about fruit trees, but we had an extremely poorly-drained
block and opted to build our flower beds up above ground level. This
could work for you too? My beds are 60cm deep, mostly for ease of
access. There's a 'lip' on the front edge of each bed to provide seating
and the pathways between are just tamped-down soil with native violets
filling in the gaps.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 14-03-2010, 03:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

Lionel wrote:
Hi guys,

My wife and I have just bought a house in Brisbane and we plan to fill
the yard with fruit trees and gardens.

The soil in the area tends to be a clay type soil on top of shale. It
takes a lot to get wet, but once wet stays that way for weeks.

I'm wondering two things:

1. For trees such as citrus, what is the best thing to do to give them
the best chance of a fruitful life? I noticed some people heap the
dirt.

This is essential where there is poor drainage. Plant them into a mound not
a hole and if at all possible put them on a slope or if it must be flat the
highest flat area you have available as long as it is in full sun. If
planted into a hole it will fill with water, the roots will rot and the
citrus tree will die.

Make the mound from soil scraped from around the area, imported loamy soil,
organic material, compost, manure etc plus gypsum. Add lime if required and
stir. The water will drain out of the mound and run across the clay giving
the tree a chance to establish its roots without water-logging.

David

Old 15-03-2010, 06:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day lionel,

the citrus will need to be planted in a raised position so the feeder
roots get good drainage, that is like building a mound then planting
the tree. other trees that don't need that extra draiange will be ok
planted into teh clay, most of our clays respond to gypsum so use lots
of that in teh planting areas. once planted mulcjh as usual our trees
live on rain alone.

same with vege' gardens do raised beds check out our presentations for
ideas.

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

do a ph test jsut in case your medium may be on the acid side if so
add in some dolomite at the correct rate all will be good.

we ahve all sorts of trtees in our clay including some palms and
cordalines but most of the regular plantings will do well in the clay,
by mulching you will start the process of amending the clay over time,
and if you can turn the whole area into garden and mulch the lot that
would be better again.

a search online should give you presentations of planting in raised
positions.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:27:22 +1000, Lionel wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

new to gardening! how do i get well drained soil in a pot??? amme United Kingdom 2 20-03-2012 06:56 AM
What is the area drained by a 1m3 void? kitey United Kingdom 5 21-08-2008 08:47 PM
The pond is drained..... Koi-Lo Ponds 3 22-04-2006 11:16 PM
Soil TOO well drained - is there such a thing? Mister Sensitive North Carolina 9 21-06-2005 11:34 PM
Half pots or drained pans in N London Jim W United Kingdom 1 19-07-2003 12:06 PM