Old 06-05-2010, 04:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default So this is really May?

After an unseasonably warm March and April we are in May and the weather is
just cooling enough to get rid of the flies. The grass is still growing,
the roses are still blooming, the pumpkins are still going as are many other
things.

BUT

The brassicas all have cabbage moth. The roses have both aphids and
monolepta. The citrus have aphids and citrus grub. All these should have
been finished well over a month ago.

Regardless of whether it happens or not (no I don't want to open that can of
worms) climate change would have some very "interesting" effects with only a
degree or two rise in temperature.

David

Old 06-05-2010, 09:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
After an unseasonably warm March and April we are in May and the weather
is just cooling enough to get rid of the flies. The grass is still
growing, the roses are still blooming, the pumpkins are still going as
are many other things.

BUT

The brassicas all have cabbage moth. The roses have both aphids and
monolepta. The citrus have aphids and citrus grub. All these should
have been finished well over a month ago.

Regardless of whether it happens or not (no I don't want to open that
can of worms) climate change would have some very "interesting" effects
with only a degree or two rise in temperature.

David

Psst! I tried the thing where you put vaseline around the bases of your
rose bushes. It really does keep the ants/aphids away! Just make sure
there's no other opportunity for ants to get onto the bush (ie. shoots
don't touch another plant, fence, etc).

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

Cabbage moth?
What are they? I use biological warfare.
Use a dose of dipel to get rid of next years progency.
Aphids?
Since moving to N E Victoria these only attack late in the season.
Seems the environment locally is not to their liking. Its too dry at other
times.
Record rain falls here this year. Climate change?
Dont get me going again.....(grin!)

Old 15-05-2010, 06:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

This "MAY" prove interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/richardblack/

If I "MAY" be so bold.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to
say it.
Voltaire