Old 14-07-2010, 07:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default How to deal with white scale on Mandarin tree

Hello,

I have a manadarin tree covered with some sort of white scale. I don't know
what it's called. Maybe it's a bug or the waste from a bug. I've attached a
photo to help in identification. Could someone please advise as to what I am
looking at and the best method to get rid of it. I've sprayed the tree twice
with pest oil but this wasn't effective in removing the scale.

Thanks,

Graeme.

Old 14-07-2010, 09:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Graeme wrote:
Hello,

I have a manadarin tree covered with some sort of white scale. I
don't know what it's called. Maybe it's a bug or the waste from a
bug. I've attached a photo to help in identification. Could someone
please advise as to what I am looking at and the best method to get
rid of it. I've sprayed the tree twice with pest oil but this wasn't
effective in removing the scale.
Thanks,

Graeme.

There is a sap-sucking insect inside each blob, if you have too many they
will debilitate th tree. Standard treatments generally include white oil or
some kind of soluble oil. You can also get the bug inside the scale with a
systemic insecticide but you may still have to physically remove the scale
with soap or oil. If the tree isn't too big try scraping by hand with a
plastic knife or something similar.

David

Old 14-07-2010, 12:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:
[...]

Also have a look at an ant problem. They will harvest the honeydew the scale
or I think in your case mealy bugs exude while feeding. They will also bring
them in to do that job. A sort of win win for ants and their friends.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:31 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
Hello,

I have a manadarin tree covered with some sort of white scale. I don't know
what it's called. Maybe it's a bug or the waste from a bug. I've attached a
photo to help in identification. Could someone please advise as to what I am
looking at and the best method to get rid of it. I've sprayed the tree twice
with pest oil but this wasn't effective in removing the scale.

Thanks,

Graeme.
I am sorry, I can't see the photo!
Do you like bamboo? I like bamboo flooring and bamboo craft much better!

Problem with Mandarin tree Graham Feeley Australia 3 13-07-2008 11:28 AM
Mandarin tree Dave -Turner Australia 4 13-09-2006 11:12 AM
The Definitive Chord & Scale Bible - Literally EVERY chord and scale! Dances_With_Ferrets Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-02-2005 03:33 AM
Gaillardia "Mandarin" aka orange blanketflower Hillary Israeli Gardening 4 08-04-2003 01:44 AM
Problem in Kinnow (mandarin) Plants varinder Gardening 1 10-02-2003 12:55 PM