Old 20-07-2010, 01:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Broccoli damage

My broccoli is doing well except that some heads are damaged. Some parts of
the head are crushed and soggy, they have gone dark and mushy. Any thoughts
on what is doing this?

David

Old 20-07-2010, 04:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
PC PC is offline

http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/06...lems_trou.html
Old 20-07-2010, 10:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

PC wrote:
On 7/20/2010 9:23 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
My broccoli is doing well except that some heads are damaged. Some
parts of the head are crushed and soggy, they have gone dark and
mushy. Any thoughts on what is doing this?

David

http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/06...lems_trou.html

They didn't mention it.

thanks anyway

David

Old 20-07-2010, 11:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
PC PC is offline

PC wrote:
On 7/20/2010 9:23 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
My broccoli is doing well except that some heads are damaged. Some
parts of the head are crushed and soggy, they have gone dark and
mushy. Any thoughts on what is doing this?

David

http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/06...lems_trou.html

They didn't mention it.

thanks anyway

David

I thought this just about described it...
Drainage problem perhaps?
Leaves and head become pale green; leaves wilt; slimy rot develops in
stem, leaves, and head. Bacterial soft rot is caused by Erwinia
bacteria. Water-soaked spots appear on leaves and roots; spots enlarge
and turn dark and mushy. Black ooze develops in cracks in roots and
stems. Rot can not be cured. Collect and burn infected plants Promote
good drainage by adding aged compost and organic materials to planting
beds. Avoid over-head watering. Rotate crops.
Old 22-07-2010, 09:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
My broccoli is doing well except that some heads are damaged. Some parts
of the head are crushed and soggy, they have gone dark and mushy. Any
thoughts on what is doing this?

David

I found this on a NSW department of Ag page is the common elemental problems
in broccoli. I don't know if the boron deficiency describes your problem.

Molybdenum deficiency (whiptail)
The symptom of molybdenum deficiency is malformed, thick and leathery
leaves. The plants show a general lack of vigour. To prevent this
deficiency, or to treat affected plants, apply a foliar spray of molybdenum
as ammonium or sodium molybdate.

The condition is often induced by acid soil, so check the pH of the soil.
Lime will be needed if the pH is less than 6.0.

Note: Where cropping soils with a history of molybdenum deficiency are being
alternated with grazing, expert advice must be obtained as to the use of
molybdenum on soil that will grow pasture.

Manganese deficiency
Excessive applications of lime may cause a deficiency of manganese. The main
symptom of the disorder is a severe leaf mottling between the veins, which
regain their normal colour. At maturity, the deficiency may induce breakdown
spots in the central head. The condition can be corrected by a foliar spray
of manganese sulphate. Several applications may be needed, depending on the
severity of the deficiency.

Boron deficiency
Deficiency symptoms generally occur in the younger, growing parts of the
plant. Water-soaked areas appear in the centres of the small branches of the
head, and leaves around the head may be deformed. At harvest, the stem is
hollow.

Dry soil conditions increase the problem. A foliar spray of 0. 1% boron (1
kg in 1000 L of water) will correct the condition. Don't apply too much
because vegetables generally are very sensitive to boron and the range
between the amount required and the amount which is toxic is very narrow.

Note: Use a wetting agent such as "Agral 60" to gain the greatest benefit
from foliar-applied nutrients. However, do not apply foliar sprays once the
central head emerges because it is very sensitive and is easily damaged by
most chemicals.

Potassium deficiency (leaf scorch or marginal leaf burn)
Apply a side-dressing of muriate of potash at from 200 kg to 300 kg per
hectare to correct the deficiency.

Old 23-07-2010, 01:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

PC wrote:
PC wrote:
[...]

That doesn't seem to be exactly it. The slimy spots on the heads sounds
right but not the rest of it. It has been wet here lately so some kind of
microbe that likes wet is very likely, I thought fungus but bacteria is
possible.

David

Old 13-08-2010, 12:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

PC wrote:
That doesn't seem to be exactly it. The slimy spots on the heads sounds
right but not the rest of it. It has been wet here lately so some kind of
microbe that likes wet is very likely, I thought fungus but bacteria is
possible.

David

hi david,
this post is so old!!!!! so my reply might be useless but i lost my server
connection for absolutely ages & now i'm back :-)

i have had the exact same thing happen with my broccoli this winter &
wondered the very same thing.

my best theory (because i really don't know what it is) is that the plants i
had in were less hardy than my usual, & it happened because of frost. the
wet, icky patches look to me like the aftereffects of frost damage - they
were only on the very tops (it didn't happen to the shoots under leaves or
more towards the sides). subsequent shoots not frosted so badly seem fine
(which makes me think it's probably not a disease); but it has happened
again a bit, again after frosts, but as they seem to be less severe now it
seems to have stopped happening.

normally i have grown green sprouting broccoli, but this winter i grew de
cicco and a dwarf variety (name unknown, because i got them as seedlings &
promptly forgot :-) i didn't grow any green sprouting so i have no
comparison.

does that explanation sound probable to you? i found that it was
disappointing, as all the dwarf heads were completely ruined & it seems a
little unwilling to shoot again. the de cicco is still soldiering on, but it
doesn't re-shoot as much or as cheerfully as sprouting, it seems to me, so
that's a shame cos broccoli is one of my favourites.
kylie