Old 18-09-2010, 04:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Hopping pests

My garden is being ravaged by wallabies and/or kangaroos. Can anyone
suggest a deterrent (excluding slaughter) that would be effective?

David
Old 18-09-2010, 02:21 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:24:58 -0700 (PDT), tathraman wrote:

My garden is being ravaged by wallabies and/or kangaroos. Can anyone
suggest a deterrent (excluding slaughter) that would be effective?

Indoor hydroponics?

Old 19-09-2010, 12:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sep 18, 10:21*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:24:58 -0700 (PDT), *tathraman wrote:
My garden is being ravaged by wallabies and/or kangaroos. Can anyone
suggest a deterrent (excluding slaughter) that would be effective?

Indoor hydroponics?

So....has anyone had experience with ultrasonics?
Old 19-09-2010, 12:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

tathraman wrote:
On Sep 18, 10:21 pm, wrote:
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:24:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
My garden is being ravaged by wallabies and/or kangaroos. Can anyone
suggest a deterrent (excluding slaughter) that would be effective?

Indoor hydroponics?

So....has anyone had experience with ultrasonics?

I've tried them with possums - didn't work.

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com
Old 19-09-2010, 12:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

My garden is being ravaged by wallabies and/or kangaroos. Can anyone
suggest a deterrent (excluding slaughter) that would be effective?

Indoor hydroponics?

When in SW Qld we used to get Bunnies & hoppers during the night come in to
sample the "lawn". Our fiercely terratorial heeler would not make a sound
about these intruders. But when off the chain she would chase them till the
cows came home. So the idea of using a "feral" to control the natives may
not work if the feral does not roam free. And of course no one here has free
roaming ferals????

Old 19-09-2010, 12:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

My garden is being ravaged by wallabies and/or kangaroos. Can anyone
suggest a deterrent (excluding slaughter) that would be effective?

Indoor hydroponics?

Re the slaughter aspect a farmer in the middle of NSW (back in the late 70s)
had a barley crop and it had a high fence around it. The roos still got over
it. So he tried the eradication route. He ran out of ammo before the roos
ended. The shooting had no effect as more and more came in from the
surrounding areas to the only green in the district.

Old 19-09-2010, 01:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

My garden is being ravaged by wallabies and/or kangaroos. Can anyone
suggest a deterrent (excluding slaughter) that would be effective?

Indoor hydroponics?

When in SW Qld we used to get Bunnies & hoppers during the night come
in to sample the "lawn". Our fiercely terratorial heeler would not
make a sound about these intruders. But when off the chain she would
chase them till the cows came home. So the idea of using a "feral" to
control the natives may not work if the feral does not roam free. And
of course no one here has free roaming ferals????

He The Kelpie isn't feral but he is free and suffers no bunnies or wallabies
in the garden.

David

Old 19-09-2010, 01:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

"tathraman" wrote in message
My garden is being ravaged by wallabies and/or kangaroos. Can anyone
suggest a deterrent (excluding slaughter) that would be effective?

David

ime kangaroos will only eat grass & similar, so if something else is being
eaten it must be wallabies or rabbits.

we found that after we put up a fence, wallabies stayed out (they can't jump
very high). roos still come in although the dog chases them out, but as i
said i've only ever seen them eating the grass so that doesn't matter
anyway.

wallabies will eat anything, the wee blighters, & most horribly they will
ruin all your young trees. the fence solved most of the problem. to cope
with rabbits (which mercifully can't eat trees), we have one veggie area
with fence along the ground (so they can't dig in underneath) & have netted
half-tubes over other stuff, & that works. (they keep everything out,
although they are annoying, albeit less annoying than discovering total
carnage).
kylie

Old 19-09-2010, 01:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

I know I keep harping on about this, but how about a quasi or pseudo
snake? Ages ago, someone got rid of brush turkeys from his yard by
sprinkling rubber snakes around. Whether you find these decorative or
not would be up to you, but maybe the 'roos might dislike them enough to
stay away???

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 19-09-2010, 01:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

tathraman wrote:
My garden is being ravaged by wallabies and/or kangaroos. Can anyone
suggest a deterrent (excluding slaughter) that would be effective?

David

We keep a dog who is 100% effective in a district with many hoppers of all
kinds. But not just any dog will do.

Friends of mine have a serious problem and don't want a dog and after many
years of battle they now enclose everything they want to keep in cages.

David H-S

Old 19-09-2010, 07:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

atec77 wrote:
On 19/09/2010 9:16 AM, Trish Brown wrote:
I know I keep harping on about this, but how about a quasi or pseudo
snake? Ages ago, someone got rid of brush turkeys from his yard by
sprinkling rubber snakes around. Whether you find these decorative or
not would be up to you, but maybe the 'roos might dislike them enough to
stay away???

I doubt it would work but might be cheap to try ,we get no animal life
transgressing in the yard , the rotty and wolfhound tend to have that
effect

Wow! What kind of wolfhound? Irish or Russian?

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old 19-09-2010, 10:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

atec77 wrote:
On 19/09/2010 3:10 PM, Trish Brown wrote:
atec77 wrote:
On 19/09/2010 9:16 AM, Trish Brown wrote:
I know I keep harping on about this, but how about a quasi or pseudo
snake? Ages ago, someone got rid of brush turkeys from his yard by
sprinkling rubber snakes around. Whether you find these decorative or
not would be up to you, but maybe the 'roos might dislike them
enough to
stay away???

I doubt it would work but might be cheap to try ,we get no animal life
transgressing in the yard , the rotty and wolfhound tend to have that
effect

Wow! What kind of wolfhound? Irish or Russian?

Irish of course
almost a metre tall and 60kg

Ahhhhh... yes, the King of Dogs! I've always wanted one, but lack of $$$
prevents it.

Still, I love my Bull Terrier. She's an old lady these days (nearly
fifteen), but still keeps us on our toes. The little toad's learned to
jump up like a gymnast onto the the timber edges of the rose-garden and
tiptoe along to the middle, where she'll pause to - ah - leave her
calling card, returning by the same route. She's allergic to something
in our lawn, so prefers not to have to 'go' on the grass. ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 20-09-2010, 04:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:51:55 +1000, atec77 wrote:

Irish of course
almost a metre tall and 60kg

Lol, local kids just love the local one when they see it down the park,
NOT. Freaks them out totally when I just walk up and pat it and still
have my hands. Once they realise they aren't going to be lunch, they are
amazed.

Old 20-09-2010, 10:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

atec77 wrote:
On 20/09/2010 12:45 PM, terryc wrote:
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:51:55 +1000, atec77 wrote:

Irish of course
almost a metre tall and 60kg

Lol, local kids just love the local one when they see it down the park,
NOT. Freaks them out totally when I just walk up and pat it and still
have my hands. Once they realise they aren't going to be lunch, they are
amazed.

The hound is smarter than most humans which upsets many , far most
thoughtful and trustworthy

I've never known a crook wolfhound. They're usually the kindliest, most
quiet-natured dogs. I s'pose, like most dogs, it all depends on the
owner and how they've been brought up. I just love the honest faces and
the jaunty tail-carriage. ;-)

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia