Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Chinese apples

terryc wrote:
FarmI wrote:
"terryc" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

You meant to say, keep thinking conspiracy theory.
Nope, but I expect you are illiterate, so keep thinking it.

Illiterate? LOL.

And totally ignorant.

You forgot "and your mother wears army boots"

You know there is no substance in the subject when all you get back is name
calling.

David

Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
terryc wrote:
FarmI wrote:
"terryc" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

You meant to say, keep thinking conspiracy theory.
Nope, but I expect you are illiterate, so keep thinking it.

Illiterate? LOL.

And totally ignorant.

You forgot "and your mother wears army boots"

You know there is no substance in the subject when all you get back is
name calling.

And sadly there was not even one cite to back up any of those conspiracy
theories.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

RRichardD wrote
gardenlen[_2_ wrote

we are likely to have so few farmers left in our country that it won't matter.

Not a chance.

People here are getting really annoyed with the food labeling bs and the tactics
of Coles and Woolworths (like the loss-leader trick with homebrand milk).

Not enough to matter.

I can see food and farm support being an election issue next time around.

Not a chance when labor may well be flushed down the tubes in the election.

What makes my blood boil is the manufacturers here like
Heinz, National Foods, Kraft etc are dead set against any
kind of labeling that empowers consumer choice.

They are completely irrelevant, they get no say on the labelling laws.

Here's what National Foods has to say.

"We believe strong brands can play a positive role in helping consumers make
educated choices about the food and beverage products they consume."

Usual utterly mindless bullshit.

What the hell does a product brand name have to do with where the
product is made, where the components come from, and if it's safe to
eat. I'm always going to preference an Australian product made with
Australian grown ingredients but these companies deliberately try to
take that choice away from me.

Nope, they are completely irrelevant, they get no say on the labelling laws.

Anyways enough ranting.

The Chinese apples are gone. They didn't sell and apparently all ended
up discounted at Paddy's Market in Sydney. The next opportunity for
the Chinese to send their waste is around November. Maybe they will
take the hint from the Australian marketplace and not bother.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:

g'day rod,

isn't it fed' gov' policy that allows fresh food to be imported?

Nope, they attempted to keep imported apples out and the WTO ****ed them over on that.

yet no banana from anywhere else in australia is allowed into qld?

Thats the state govt, not the federal govt.

The state govt does similar things with rice in NSW too.

doesn't make sense does it?

The claim is to keep diseases out.

You actually need a license to grow bananas in Qld.

a closed border none the less.

the farmers have been up in arms about early on but they have
quitened down now, maybe they were given a little sweetener?

Nope, they just realised that no one was listening to them after the WTO decision.

granted under world gov' rules they can no longer have closed borders.

We still can when its important enough like with mad cow and foot and mouth etc.

these apples are just the latest issue there is much
other stuff on our shelves from the asian region,

Yes, but we export a lot to them too.

i feel if we focus totally on china the rest slips under the radar.

Sure, but with NZ its legally treated like an australian state with imports.

Rod Speed wrote

snipped

Old 03-02-2011, 07:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day rod,

yes our gov' have not a lot of say under the rules of the world gov'

the qld banana issue was after disease caused by greedy banana farmers
up north who bought planting material in under the radar much like the
citrus issue out emerald way again farmers of non aussie origin bought
in grafting material under the radar and decimated the citrus industry
out that way.

now all citrus has to be tested before it can be sold a cost borne by
all growers then passed onto the public. still can't see why bananas
from other states can't come into qld if a couple farms get affected
by cyclones, also there is no history of disease spreading from the
backyard clump of lady finger bananas into commercial crops often far
removed from the backyard.

gardeners were never allowed to grow cavendish as they were a
commercila crop and prone to bunchy top, again one could argue about
how an afected plant in a brisbane garden could cause any issue to
bananas farms further up the coast?? control for controls sake.

so after cyclone larry which did not decimate all of qld's banana
crops, NZ was buying banana's for under $2 a kilo when they were on
teh shelf for anywhere up to $14 a kilo' here in qld. the shops mad a
killing telling shoppers the higher prices would help the farmers??
help teh stupidmarkets botttom line is all.

if agrdeners want bananas in their garden they now have to or are
supposed to buy certified plants, more cost. all because of what some
banana farmer did, no doubt they will bring some control onto citrus,
eithe ban them in gardens or make gardeners get their fruit tested.

maybe they'll bring the border gate back between qld and the south
just like they used to have back in the 50's or so.

on Thu, 3 Feb 2011 20:51:00 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 04-02-2011, 06:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:

You forgot "and your mother wears army boots"

Educate me as I don't see how mum's footwear is relevant.
Making a spelling mistake whilst critiscising someone's education is
traditional
Old 04-02-2011, 06:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

Rod Speed wrote:

Not a chance when labor may well be flushed down the tubes in the election.

what is your hit rate on this little oft repeated line?

They are completely irrelevant, they get no say on the labelling laws.

and their donatins to political parties are completely irrelevant.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:
g'day rod,

yes our gov' have not a lot of say under the rules of the world gov'

They knew that when they signed up, but since very few have any real
world practical skills they had not a clue about the ramifications, like
making Australia a complete cess pit like the rest of the world.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day terry,

yes, but i think the standard of our leaders for want of a better word
is that they care only about their ego's and how much time thay can
get in front of the camera's other than thinking what is best for
australia and it's people.

maybe in time we may find out what other things have been "signed"
away.

a dumping ground down under.

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:24:30 +1100, terryc

Old 05-02-2011, 01:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

"terryc" wrote in message
David Hare-Scott wrote:

You forgot "and your mother wears army boots"

Educate me as I don't see how mum's footwear is relevant.

It's about as relevant as linking literacy with thinking.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:

g'day rod,

yes our gov' have not a lot of say under the rules of the world gov'

Yes, but that allows us to force other signatory to accept out exports too.

the qld banana issue was after disease caused by greedy banana farmers up
north who bought planting material in under the radar much like the citrus issue
out emerald way again farmers of non aussie origin bought in grafting material
under the radar and decimated the citrus industry out that way.

Yep.

now all citrus has to be tested before it can be sold a
cost borne by all growers then passed onto the public.

And with the much older fruit fly problem too.

still can't see why bananas from other states can't come
into qld if a couple farms get affected by cyclones, also
there is no history of disease spreading from the backyard
clump of lady finger bananas into commercial crops often
far removed from the backyard.

Yes, but they dont need to go that route, they can just use whats been flattened.

gardeners were never allowed to grow cavendish

Only in Qld.

as they were a commercila crop and prone to bunchy top, again one
could argue about how an afected plant in a brisbane garden could cause
any issue to bananas farms further up the coast?? control for controls sake.

Yeah, real overkill.

so after cyclone larry which did not decimate all of qld's
banana crops, NZ was buying banana's for under $2 a
kilo when they were on teh shelf for anywhere up to $14
a kilo' here in qld.

I never paid anything like that and bought some yesterday for $2 too.

the shops mad a killing telling shoppers the higher prices would
help the farmers?? help teh stupidmarkets botttom line is all.

Dunno, its not too clear what the growest were getting.

I make lemon and lime marmalade, usually a year's supply at a time,
and so it makes sense to buy the limes when they are cheap, the
price can vary dramatically from $3 to $15 in Woolys. I'd like to see
that growers are getting but cant find any listing of that online.

The best you get form the sydney markets is a percentage increase/decrease.

if agrdeners want bananas in their garden they now have to or are
supposed to buy certified plants, more cost. all because of what some
banana farmer did, no doubt they will bring some control onto citrus,
eithe ban them in gardens or make gardeners get their fruit tested.

The most the locals are doing is offering free tree removal
and a free replacement seedling. Thats for fruit fly tho.

We've always been a quantine are for half a century or more.

maybe they'll bring the border gate back between qld and
the south just like they used to have back in the 50's or so.

Ours are voluntary, no one mans them. presumably many ignore that.

on Thu, 3 Feb 2011 20:51:00 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snipped

Old 05-02-2011, 04:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Not a chance when labor may well be flushed down the tubes in the election.

what is your hit rate on this little oft repeated line?

Very good. Federally they came within a wisker.

In Victoria they were flushed where they belong.

They will in NSW too, they'll be decimated, you watch.

They are completely irrelevant, they get no say on the labelling laws.

and their donatins to political parties are completely irrelevant.

Corse they are when its the WTO that forced that removal of the ban.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote
gardenlen wrote

yes our gov' have not a lot of say under the rules of the world gov'

They knew that when they signed up, but since very few have any real world practical skills they had not a clue about
the ramifications,

They realised that it helps out exports much more than we have an
import problem, even if you're so stupid you havent even noticed.

like making Australia a complete cess pit like the rest of the world.

You wouldnt know what a real cesspit was if someone tossed you in one, again.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote

yes, but i think the standard of our leaders for want of a better word
is that they care only about their ego's and how much time thay can
get in front of the camera's other than thinking what is best for
australia and it's people.

Its much more about the advantages outweighing the downsides,
particularly with out exports.

maybe in time we may find out what other things have been "signed" way.

There arent any.

a dumping ground down under.

Nope, and nothing like it either.

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:24:30 +1100, terryc

Old 05-02-2011, 02:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

Rod Speed wrote:
terryc wrote

They will in NSW too, they'll be decimated, you watch.

That is hardly profitic.

They are completely irrelevant, they get no say on the labelling laws.

and their donatins to political parties are completely irrelevant.

Corse they are when its the WTO that forced that removal of the ban.

Oh dear, such shallow thinking. Blind freddy could see that that was
going to happen when they signed up, but we still have people that
believe that AQIS has teeth.

Chinese orchid Wendy7 Garden Photos 2 09-04-2009 09:31 AM
Chinese elm problems Iris Cohen Bonsai 1 22-03-2003 06:56 PM
snake gourd and chinese okra seeds kn125 Texas 3 16-03-2003 10:32 PM
snake gourd and chinese okra seeds kn125 Texas 0 09-03-2003 02:39 AM
Chinese Elm breaking dormancy Helena Handbasket Bonsai 0 05-02-2003 05:55 PM