Old 07-03-2011, 08:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Proposed Plant Bans

The *******s want to ban more plants, including my beloved angel's trumpets. Why blame
the plants, blame the ****ing idiot who consumes them,

http://www.gardenfreedom.com/the-proposed-legislation/

Old 07-03-2011, 05:37 PM posted to aus.gardens

thin edge of the wedge all leading to making it easy for them they
will simply say you can only grow indemicnative plants, so the vege
and flower gardens might be on the way to extinction.

--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 07-03-2011, 09:46 PM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:
thin edge of the wedge all leading to making it easy for them they
will simply say you can only grow indemicnative plants, so the vege
and flower gardens might be on the way to extinction.

Why do you think that? Why would any government want to ban all
non-natives?

David

Old 08-03-2011, 02:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 03:37:39 +1000, gardenlen wrote:

thin edge of the wedge all leading to making it easy for them they
will simply say you can only grow indemicnative plants, so the vege
and flower gardens might be on the way to extinction.

There are some natives on the list, mainly wattles.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:
thin edge of the wedge all leading to making it easy for them they
will simply say you can only grow indemicnative plants, so the vege
and flower gardens might be on the way to extinction.

Why do you think that? Why would any government want to ban all
non-natives?

David

Maybe not a ban on seeds but a control of the seeds we can plant, which may
need to be verified by big business to be legal.

Mike

I love a good conspiracy

Old 09-03-2011, 12:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:
that's why i said indemic natives.

That would totally cripple the nursery industry.
Local seed collection and propagation requiresreal work.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

why they preffer enedemic plants is that a native from another area
can be a weed outside its habitat range ie.,. alexander palm, cadagi
gum, a wattle from mt morgan etc.,.

so by keeping the list simple they don't have to identify a weed then
try and control it, like lantana once they escape into another
habitiat they are there for keeps.

gardenlen wrote:
that's why i said indemic natives.

Why endemic natives?

Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote:
gardenlen wrote:
that's why i said indemic natives.

That would totally cripple the nursery industry.
Local seed collection and propagation requiresreal work.

And very little of it has been done. When I first moved to where I now live
I asked all the authorities (council, landcare, etc) for a list of plants
that were native to the area. Not only is there no supply of seed there is
no list.

There is no evidence of any plot to restrict domestic plants to those
endemic to the area. The system of grades of noxious weeds is well
established and pretty consistent between councils allowing for differences
in climate. The council weeds officer here has her hands full just trying
to get people to deal with the nastiest weeds (level 4 and 5 if I recall) so
levels 1,2,3 are on the honour system. There is no prospect of another few
thousand (or tens of thousands) of species being declared. The cost and the
grief that the councils would cop would be prohibitive and there is no sigh
from any of them of a big push in that direction. And of course it would
never work even if they were prepared to be so unpopular, if they cannot get
rid of the top 10 how will they get rid of 10 thousand?

I think Len is just manufacturing another conspiracy out of thin air, having
another air swing (if you ever play golf).

David

Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:
why they preffer enedemic plants is that a native from another area
can be a weed outside its habitat range ie.,. alexander palm, cadagi
gum, a wattle from mt morgan etc.,.

so by keeping the list simple they don't have to identify a weed then
try and control it, like lantana once they escape into another
habitiat they are there for keeps.

Nope, they are just not prepared to spend the money. Some species just
require a bit of manual labour. Lantana is an especially easy one to
hand pull.

Instead, gummint loves spraying toxic chemicals about he place even
though they know they will do bugger all.