Old 09-04-2011, 08:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Getting rid of an acre of Plantain and Dandelions... organically?

As per the subject...

I have about an acre of 'lawn' that has become heavily infested with
dandelion and plantain. This spring I intend ploughing the lot up and
replanting with pasture grasses (who needs an acre of lawn?).

Problem is, I want to do it organically... and I'm out of practical
ideas on how to do this. Any ideas, anyone? Cheers.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
As per the subject...

I have about an acre of 'lawn' that has become heavily infested with
dandelion and plantain. This spring I intend ploughing the lot up and
replanting with pasture grasses (who needs an acre of lawn?).

Problem is, I want to do it organically... and I'm out of practical
ideas on how to do this. Any ideas, anyone? Cheers.

Take a hoe/rotary tiller and chip the crown out of the plant.
If you dont know what the crown is, think of the bit on a carrot where
the leaves grow from. If you can slice that bit off the root, then the
plant dies.

Alternatively, you slash when 50% of the plant are in flower, before it
sets seed. eventually, after a number of years(decades), it will die out
as the seed bank is exhausted.

What are you going to graze on the pasture and do they eat plantain and
dandelion? Aka, why worry about it, just plant your pasture species.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

"terryc" wrote in message
Jeßus wrote:
[...]

Wonder what's wrong with me. I like dandelions. Pretty little flower that
grows in my lawn without any input from me.
Cheers,
Dan.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 17:01:07 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

As per the subject...

I have about an acre of 'lawn' that has become heavily infested with
dandelion and plantain. This spring I intend ploughing the lot up and
replanting with pasture grasses (who needs an acre of lawn?).

Problem is, I want to do it organically... and I'm out of practical
ideas on how to do this. Any ideas, anyone? Cheers.

Spray with petrol (which is full of organic chemicals) and ignite.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jeßus" wrote in message
As per the subject...

I have about an acre of 'lawn' that has become heavily infested with
dandelion and plantain. This spring I intend ploughing the lot up and
replanting with pasture grasses (who needs an acre of lawn?).

Problem is, I want to do it organically... and I'm out of practical
ideas on how to do this. Any ideas, anyone? Cheers.

Goats followed by chickens

Old 13-06-2011, 12:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 18:49:57 +1000, terryc
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
As per the subject...

I have about an acre of 'lawn' that has become heavily infested with
dandelion and plantain. This spring I intend ploughing the lot up and
replanting with pasture grasses (who needs an acre of lawn?).

Problem is, I want to do it organically... and I'm out of practical
ideas on how to do this. Any ideas, anyone? Cheers.

Take a hoe/rotary tiller and chip the crown out of the plant.
If you dont know what the crown is, think of the bit on a carrot where
the leaves grow from. If you can slice that bit off the root, then the
plant dies.

Alternatively, you slash when 50% of the plant are in flower, before it
sets seed. eventually, after a number of years(decades), it will die out
as the seed bank is exhausted.

A belated thanks to you Terry and everyone else... I obviously lost
track of this thread during my computer changeover...

The method you outlined would be effective but just not practical due
to the area covered. We are talking about an acre here and much of it
is pretty thick with dandelion and plantain. I'd hate to think how
long it;d take to do

What are you going to graze on the pasture and do they eat plantain and
dandelion? Aka, why worry about it, just plant your pasture species.

I have no problems with a bit of dandelion, plantain and most other
common 'weeds', but in this case they're just to prevalent.

Cheers
Old 13-06-2011, 12:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 23:27:31 +0800, "Loosecanon"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
.. .
As per the subject...

I have about an acre of 'lawn' that has become heavily infested with
dandelion and plantain. This spring I intend ploughing the lot up and
replanting with pasture grasses (who needs an acre of lawn?).

Problem is, I want to do it organically... and I'm out of practical
ideas on how to do this. Any ideas, anyone? Cheers.

Goats followed by chickens

My miniature goats have no interest in either, unfortunately!

The chooks might though, however they already have their own 2 acre
paddock between themselves, the ducks and geese.

You know, it may be worth contacting my local council here... things
are often done on a handshake and unofficial. They may have one of
those gizmos that kill weeds by steam.