Old 11-04-2011, 12:33 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter planting

Some background, I am in the southern hemisphere in an area that has winter
frost but not snow so some veges grow well right through winter.

Most of my winter veges (brassicas, lettuce, etc) are doing well in their
seed trays and will go out in the next week or so weather permitting. For
the direct-sown types I got garlic, peas and broad beans in a couple of
weeks ago. We have had some nice rain and it has been warm to mild so they
are doing well.

I also had a brainwave, I put net over the ground to stop various diggers
from ruining my seeds and seedlings. Worked just fine. Except the broad
beans have grown through the net where it hangs down in several places and
now I have to tease them back out of it.

David

PS The pups (some of the diggers) have now doubled their weight since we
got them. I did not think that I would volunteer again for having toddlers
around unless I could hand them back to mum but somehow that's how it is.
They are into everything, so full of life and energy and fun, joyfully
destroying without malice. New pics are available for those who care.

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...20and%20birds/

Old 11-04-2011, 03:36 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Some background, I am in the southern hemisphere in an area that has
winter frost but not snow so some veges grow well right through winter.

Most of my winter veges (brassicas, lettuce, etc) are doing well in their
seed trays and will go out in the next week or so weather permitting.
For the direct-sown types I got garlic, peas and broad beans in a couple
of weeks ago. We have had some nice rain and it has been warm to mild so
they are doing well.

I also had a brainwave, I put net over the ground to stop various diggers
from ruining my seeds and seedlings. Worked just fine. Except the broad
beans have grown through the net where it hangs down in several places and
now I have to tease them back out of it.

I've got to do that with all the netting on our trees.

PS The pups (some of the diggers) have now doubled their weight since we
got them. I did not think that I would volunteer again for having
toddlers around unless I could hand them back to mum but somehow that's
how it is. They are into everything, so full of life and energy and fun,
joyfully destroying without malice. New pics are available for those
who care.

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...20and%20birds/

Nice muts.