Old 10-05-2011, 09:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default What to do with a big, leaning Agave? Prop it up?

We have a big, old agave with a top bit that's about 1.4metres across.
The trunk just below where the green bits start is almost horizontal.
It's very healthy and vigorous, but it looks like the top might snap
off. My wife suggested making a prop to support the top. What do you
think?

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Richard Sherratt" wrote in
message ...
We have a big, old agave with a top bit that's about 1.4metres across.
The trunk just below where the green bits start is almost horizontal.
It's very healthy and vigorous, but it looks like the top might snap
off. My wife suggested making a prop to support the top. What do you
think?

--
Regards.
Richard.

Cut it off and take some older leaves off and stick it in the dirt. Will
have new roots in 8 weeks. Do not overwater the soil.

It should also go well deep planted. Take as much stem as possible and dig a
hole to suit the shape of the trunk the deeper the better. Have the Agave's
leaves just clear of the ground. Position it in the most eye pleasing way
which to me is having the central part pointing up. The stem that is
underground will produce roots and the cut end will produce a mass of roots.
The advantage will be the Agave won't be able to turn on an above ground
trunk in search for light for a while. The other advantage is that dormant
buds in the trunk may come up and you will end up having a nice clump.

Old 13-05-2011, 08:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 10 May 2011 17:29:00 +0800, "Loosecanon"
wrote:

"Richard Sherratt" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Thanks, folks. Much better than props.

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old 18-05-2011, 08:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

YAY! Then when you have all those extra Agave plants, you can
share a handful with your fellow UQ'er who posted a request to
receive some?!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 18 May 2011 06:49:59 +0000 (UTC), Ms Karen James-Pearson
wrote:

YAY! Then when you have all those extra Agave plants, you can
share a handful with your fellow UQ'er who posted a request to
receive some?!!!!

Actually, we may well have some spare ones soon. We haven't gotten
around to performing the surgery yet, but will probably do it soon.
Some of the existing clump is going to have to go to good homes. Bit
of a stretch to get it to QLD, though :-)

--
Regards.
Richard.

POE 2007 - Cymbidium (Fifi 'Harry' x Jean Angus) 'Heathrich Hills' - Nice pendant cym against display prop Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 06:08 AM
plant prop-er-up-ers *muffin* Ponds 7 02-06-2003 05:44 PM
What to do about space between prop line & road? Bob Muir Gardening 1 27-03-2003 01:44 AM
The Leaning African Violet Jenny Rizzo Gardening 5 05-03-2003 03:39 PM
African Violet - leaning Jenny Rizzo Plant Biology 9 04-03-2003 09:16 PM