Old 26-06-2013, 06:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default New garden bed

Can I mix grass killed a month ago with roundup into soil With tiller.
What to do with fresh sawdust, I have a lot, if it can not be used fresh
how do you rot it quickest.
If the new bed has 6" of green grass on it do I mow it first and remove
or just run the cultivator tiller over the lot (and the aforementioned
roundupped dead grass from elsewhere.Or roundup the new bed, wait a week
or two then cultivate ?
Now there is a muddled bunch of questions.
Old 27-06-2013, 01:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 03:35:30 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Can I mix grass killed a month ago with roundup into soil With tiller.

You could, but why on earth would you want to?
Why do you want to add roundup?
Ahhh... already dead grass. In that case I would use it for growing
food crops.

What to do with fresh sawdust, I have a lot, if it can not be used fresh
how do you rot it quickest.

Too much work/time to rot sawdust. Been there tried that.
Sawdust is good for growing acid-loving plants though, such as
Blueberries and Azaleas.

If the new bed has 6" of green grass on it do I mow it first and remove
or just run the cultivator tiller over the lot (and the aforementioned
roundupped dead grass from elsewhere.Or roundup the new bed, wait a week
or two then cultivate ?
Now there is a muddled bunch of questions.

Well, the question is what do you intend growing in this garden.

You need to keep in mind that roundup isn't safe and Monstanto's
claims of roundup breaking down safely in the soil has been proven to
be false, and has a lot of health related issues.

How many square metres is this garden going to be?
Old 27-06-2013, 05:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

A few vegies, maybe jam melons,about 5 or 6 sq m.
Old 27-06-2013, 07:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

One problem solved, my new baby tiller machine won't handle the growing
grass,just tried it, looks like have to mow low first.
Old 27-06-2013, 08:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:29:32 +1000, atec77 "atec77
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I shouldn't think the poison will do you much good although it does
break down perhaps binning it would be the go

It DOESNT BREAK DOWN Baz, despite what Monsanto claimed.
Do some research.

Old 27-06-2013, 08:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

That's an extremely small area, unless you have physical limitations,
you should be able to dig the grass out by hand?
Old 27-06-2013, 08:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:03:30 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

How about mowing it, then get a sharp spade and cut the grass into
small sections, then undercut it with the spade? That's what I usually
do.
Old 27-06-2013, 09:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Just getting ancient, that is why I got this small tiller cultivator.
Don't know how many gardens I will end up with, haven't had much success
where I have moved to so far (sort of southern highlands Sydney) , grew
some jam melons and punkins, Tons of flowers big and little, tried
polination with brush and ended up with one jam melon about 90 mm in dia
and one punkin oval about 90 x 150 mm, (supposed to be Halloween pumpkins).
planted a passion fruit about 3 seasons ago, nothing happened for ages
other than greenery but this year some fruit appeared just before
winter, grew full size and then have remained the same colour green for
the last month or so with no indication of changing colour and it is now
quite cold where I am.
Old 28-06-2013, 06:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

"F Murtz" wrote in message
Can I mix grass killed a month ago with roundup into soil With tiller.

Yes if the tiller is strong enough.

What to do with fresh sawdust, I have a lot, if it can not be used fresh
how do you rot it quickest.

Pee on it regularly (the ammonia in your pee willl help it rot) or put it
in a chook pen and let the chooks turn it to great soil improvering stuff or
add lots of manure and give it a stir reguarly.

If the new bed has 6" of green grass on it do I mow it first and remove or
just run the cultivator tiller over the lot (and the aforementioned
roundupped dead grass from elsewhere.Or roundup the new bed, wait a week
or two then cultivate ?

I'd remove the grass first and tehn dig it over with a fork but you could
kill it and then till it or you could till it and then keep weeding and
working on it till it gets to the condition you want. There are no hard and
fast rules just what works for you in your situation.

Old 28-06-2013, 06:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I'd do that all by hand using a garden fork.

Old 28-06-2013, 06:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Are you in the Southern Highlands or in Sydney?

, grew
some jam melons and punkins, Tons of flowers big and little, tried
polination with brush and ended up with one jam melon about 90 mm in dia
and one punkin oval about 90 x 150 mm, (supposed to be Halloween
pumpkins).
planted a passion fruit about 3 seasons ago, nothing happened for ages
other than greenery but this year some fruit appeared just before winter,
grew full size and then have remained the same colour green for the last
month or so with no indication of changing colour and it is now quite cold
where I am.

In that case you might be in the Southern Highlands. If you are, this is a
good time of year to be doing your ground preparation fr a futre veg garden.
I do a little bit each day when I'm doing ground prep.

Old 28-06-2013, 08:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

Farm1 wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Near Tahmoor and Bargo
Old 28-06-2013, 12:00 PM posted to aus.gardens

"F Murtz" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Right. You haven't got the gorgeous basalt soil of some of the Sthn
Highlands if I recall that area correctly. I was born in the Southern
Highlands in Bowral.

Old 28-06-2013, 11:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Farm1" wrote in message
"F Murtz" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We have lovely black soil (Darling Downs) added some sheep manure that had
sat in a bucket of water for about a year, came out looking like the black
soil and about as thick. The broad beans appear to think it is wonderful. Or
that could be the recent 2 lots of 1/2 an inch of precipitation.

Old 29-06-2013, 01:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Fair enough... this year is the first year I can feel myself beginning
to slow down a bit, but still can do all the work I want, just takes a
little longer

My main veggie patch is approx. 20 x20m², I also used a cultivator but
only after I hand dug the grass out of there first. I'm still digging
new runners out from time to time even after 3 years, the rye grass I
have here is really quite invasive but manageable.

Don't know how many gardens I will end up with, haven't had much success
where I have moved to so far (sort of southern highlands Sydney) , grew
some jam melons and punkins, Tons of flowers big and little, tried
polination with brush and ended up with one jam melon about 90 mm in dia
and one punkin oval about 90 x 150 mm, (supposed to be Halloween pumpkins).
planted a passion fruit about 3 seasons ago, nothing happened for ages
other than greenery but this year some fruit appeared just before
winter, grew full size and then have remained the same colour green for
the last month or so with no indication of changing colour and it is now
quite cold where I am.

You might be better off growing as if you were in Tassie, the climates
may be similar (at least during autumn/winter)? It's -6° here quite
regularly and the days max out around 12°... but can still grow plenty
of veggies, once you adapt to the conditions. Frost is both a friend
and foe here, depending on what you're growing.

New garden bed F Murtz Gardening 5 27-06-2013 07:40 AM
4 bed rotation to 3 bed removing brassicas for space? Broadback United Kingdom 1 16-03-2005 06:52 AM
Creating a new flower or garden bed mary Gardening 8 26-06-2004 11:04 AM
New veg bed Mark United Kingdom 12 14-03-2004 05:09 PM
Project update: New Bed -- Phase 1 done! JNJ Gardening 0 08-07-2003 04:20 AM