Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,aus.gardens

Default More passion

these passions are odd, the first pic shows the main passion above and
the puny passions growing from between the logs below.
the main passion seems to be making the green more solid looking ones,
the puny passion seems to be making smaller ones that are turning bright
orange, the whole affair is climbing a plum tree (you can see plums)

http://tinypic.com/r/wrfkfd/5

http://tinypic.com/r/245mqeb/5

http://tinypic.com/r/ridqhi/5
Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,aus.gardens

F Murtz wrote:
these passions are odd, the first pic shows the main passion above and
the puny passions growing from between the logs below.
the main passion seems to be making the green more solid looking ones,
the puny passion seems to be making smaller ones that are turning bright
orange, the whole affair is climbing a plum tree (you can see plums)

http://tinypic.com/r/wrfkfd/5

http://tinypic.com/r/245mqeb/5

http://tinypic.com/r/ridqhi/5

OOPS first pic should be

http://tinypic.com/r/2m2jn9s/5
Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,aus.gardens

"F Murtz" wrote in message
b.com...
these passions are odd, the first pic shows the main passion above and the
puny passions growing from between the logs below.
the main passion seems to be making the green more solid looking ones, the
puny passion seems to be making smaller ones that are turning bright
orange, the whole affair is climbing a plum tree (you can see plums)

http://tinypic.com/r/wrfkfd/5

http://tinypic.com/r/245mqeb/5

http://tinypic.com/r/ridqhi/5

First picture looked like a bathroom to me?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 10-12-2013, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,aus.gardens

In article m,
F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
these passions are odd, the first pic shows the main passion above and
the puny passions growing from between the logs below.
the main passion seems to be making the green more solid looking ones,
the puny passion seems to be making smaller ones that are turning bright
orange, the whole affair is climbing a plum tree (you can see plums)

http://tinypic.com/r/wrfkfd/5

http://tinypic.com/r/245mqeb/5

http://tinypic.com/r/ridqhi/5

OOPS first pic should be

http://tinypic.com/r/2m2jn9s/5

Odd, maybe, but fairly normal for P. caerulea and almost certainly
some others. It naturally suckers from its roots, not all suckers
are as vigorous as the main plant, and many species of fruit often
ripen faster on less vigorous shoots/plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,aus.gardens

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
b.com...
these passions are odd, the first pic shows the main passion above and
the puny passions growing from between the logs below.
the main passion seems to be making the green more solid looking ones,
the puny passion seems to be making smaller ones that are turning
bright orange, the whole affair is climbing a plum tree (you can see
plums)

http://tinypic.com/r/wrfkfd/5

http://tinypic.com/r/245mqeb/5

http://tinypic.com/r/ridqhi/5

First picture looked like a bathroom to me?

Without a passionfruit vine in it.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,aus.gardens

"F Murtz" wrote ...

these passions are odd, the first pic shows the main passion above and the
puny passions growing from between the logs below.
the main passion seems to be making the green more solid looking ones, the
puny passion seems to be making smaller ones that are turning bright
orange, the whole affair is climbing a plum tree (you can see plums)

http://tinypic.com/r/wrfkfd/5

http://tinypic.com/r/245mqeb/5

http://tinypic.com/r/ridqhi/5

I think that's quite normal for the plant, smaller offshoots come up from
the roots. At least they did in a neighbours garden.
May I also suggest you give us a clue as to where your garden is in the
world (see my sig) as it matters quite a lot regarding gardening that people
know you are in Oz (and which part). :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-12-2013, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,aus.gardens
anm anm is offline

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:42:21 +1100, F Murtz wrote:

these passions are odd, the first pic shows the main passion above and
the puny passions growing from between the logs below. the main passion
seems to be making the green more solid looking ones, the puny passion
seems to be making smaller ones that are turning bright orange, the
whole affair is climbing a plum tree (you can see plums)

http://tinypic.com/r/wrfkfd/5

http://tinypic.com/r/245mqeb/5

http://tinypic.com/r/ridqhi/5

Quite normal.

I had a similar vine growth several years ago.
Got excited with the growth until I did some research, the results of
which made me realise that I was not going to get lots of golden
passionfruit. Basically they are thin skinned and 'dry' inside, coming
from a spindly vine.

Suspect you have a "grafted" vine; given your location and the picture,
probably a Nellie Kelly.

That is, the Nellie Kelly vine has been grafted onto a vigorous (wild)
rootstock; similar to grape vines - the grafting, not the rootstock :P

You need to watch the rootstock since, as mentioned, it is quite a
vigorous grower. This means you get vine growth off the rootstock. This
should be regularly pruned / cut back to allow all growth through the
grafted (Nellie Kelly?) vine.

HTH

More passion F Murtz United Kingdom 0 15-12-2013 08:01 AM
Passion Flower rooting runners/ more Howard Gardening 0 16-06-2003 08:08 PM
Passion Flower Victor West United Kingdom 9 05-04-2003 06:56 PM
Cymbidium Florida Flamingo 'Pink Passion' Go Gators Orchids 0 22-02-2003 09:39 PM
Tips for growing Passion Flower or Asclepias Raegan Simone Gardening 5 01-02-2003 04:34 AM