gardening weather

Old 30-12-2013, 10:29 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

Default gardening weather

A little summer heat is appearing in the Sunshine State.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-3...nsland/5179018

The town of Miles QLD hit over 48C (119F). Note this is *not* in the
desert, it is on the downs where the industries are cropping and grazing.

So close to the summer solstice at that latitude the sun would be overhead
at noon.

How would your lettuce be holding up?

David

Old 30-12-2013, 10:58 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
A little summer heat is appearing in the Sunshine State.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-3...nsland/5179018

This is confusing, in one place it says Miles reached 48.3C in another
43.8C. I suspect the lower figure is correct, still fairly warm at 111F.

Old 30-12-2013, 11:26 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

A little summer heat is appearing in the Sunshine State.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-3...nsland/5179018

The town of Miles QLD hit over 48C (119F). Note this is *not* in the
desert, it is on the downs where the industries are cropping and grazing.

So close to the summer solstice at that latitude the sun would be overhead
at noon.

How would your lettuce be holding up?

David

I had an acquaintance in Las Vegas, Nevada where the temperatures are like
that. She grew all sorts of fancy salad greens but only by dint of
elaborate shade and wind-blocking structures and an automatic misting
system. Far too much work for me -- I grew cacti instead.