Old seeds

Old 14-12-2014, 07:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1

Default Old seeds

Put some old seeds into seed raising mixture to see if any of them are
viable. Hopefully some will be and I can get a new supply without paying
outlandish prices for heirloom varieties.

Old 15-03-2015, 05:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

"SG1" wrote in message
web.com...
Put some old seeds into seed raising mixture to see if any of them are
viable. Hopefully some will be and I can get a new supply without paying
outlandish prices for heirloom varieties.

SO what was the results of the old seed trial? I have found its a bit of a
lottery when I plant things I have left over but I often get a few starts so
will never cast them aside without at least giving them a try.

Mike

Old 15-03-2015, 11:43 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1

"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote in message

"SG1" wrote in message
web.com...
Put some old seeds into seed raising mixture to see if any of them are
viable. Hopefully some will be and I can get a new supply without paying
outlandish prices for heirloom varieties.

SO what was the results of the old seed trial? I have found its a bit of
a lottery when I plant things I have left over but I often get a few
starts so will never cast them aside without at least giving them a try.

Mike

To be polite NFG. SWMBO tossed the seeds yesterday. The Jalapenos that
survived last winter are still doing well. Nice and hot the cillies not the
weather.

Old 17-03-2015, 11:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:13:25 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
wrote:

"SG1" wrote in message
aweb.com...
Put some old seeds into seed raising mixture to see if any of them are
viable. Hopefully some will be and I can get a new supply without paying
outlandish prices for heirloom varieties.

SO what was the results of the old seed trial? I have found its a bit of a
lottery when I plant things I have left over but I often get a few starts so
will never cast them aside without at least giving them a try.

I have a bucket full of broad bean seeds (from my garden) that are
either 3 or 4 years old now. I'll be planting them shortly. Will be
interesting to see how many are viable. Some friends planted a couple
hundred of them last year and the germination rate was basically 100%.
Old 18-03-2015, 07:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jeus" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:13:25 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
wrote:

"SG1" wrote in message
raweb.com...
Put some old seeds into seed raising mixture to see if any of them are
viable. Hopefully some will be and I can get a new supply without paying
outlandish prices for heirloom varieties.

SO what was the results of the old seed trial? I have found its a bit of
lottery when I plant things I have left over but I often get a few starts
so
will never cast them aside without at least giving them a try.

I have a bucket full of broad bean seeds (from my garden) that are
either 3 or 4 years old now. I'll be planting them shortly. Will be
interesting to see how many are viable. Some friends planted a couple
hundred of them last year and the germination rate was basically 100%.

The problem I have with beans is I plant 2 at each position, with the
intention of thinning down to one when they germinate and the ones left over
I fill in random small spots that would be fallow if not for the beans. The
random beans seem to have 100% germination and the carefully spaced beans
will grow 2 or none and not evenly spaced so I could tell the wife I planned
it.

Mike

Old 20-03-2015, 06:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 14:18:36 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
wrote:

"Jeus" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:13:25 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
wrote:

"SG1" wrote in message
traweb.com...
[...]

Haha, I know *exactly* what you mean
Old 21-03-2015, 12:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

Once upon a time on usenet SG1 wrote:
"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote in message

"SG1" wrote in message
web.com...
Put some old seeds into seed raising mixture to see if any of them
are viable. Hopefully some will be and I can get a new supply
without paying outlandish prices for heirloom varieties.

SO what was the results of the old seed trial? I have found its a
bit of a lottery when I plant things I have left over but I often
get a few starts so will never cast them aside without at least
giving them a try. Mike

To be polite NFG. SWMBO tossed the seeds yesterday. The Jalapenos that
survived last winter are still doing well. Nice and hot the cillies
not the weather.

Heh! Good to see someone else using 'NFG'. That's what I write on computer
parts that don't work so if I don't get rid of them quickly and stumble
across them again I know not to bother testing....
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 21-03-2015, 08:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Once upon a time on usenet SG1 wrote:
"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote in message

"SG1" wrote in message
web.com...
Put some old seeds into seed raising mixture to see if any of them
are viable. Hopefully some will be and I can get a new supply
without paying outlandish prices for heirloom varieties.

SO what was the results of the old seed trial? I have found its a
bit of a lottery when I plant things I have left over but I often
get a few starts so will never cast them aside without at least
giving them a try. Mike

To be polite NFG. SWMBO tossed the seeds yesterday. The Jalapenos that
survived last winter are still doing well. Nice and hot the cillies
not the weather.

Heh! Good to see someone else using 'NFG'. That's what I write on computer
parts that don't work so if I don't get rid of them quickly and stumble
across them again I know not to bother testing....

BUT you still test them just in case they have recovered since you last
tested. At least that's what I tend to do.

Mike

Old 22-03-2015, 01:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

Once upon a time on usenet Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
Once upon a time on usenet SG1 wrote:
"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote in message

"SG1" wrote in message
web.com...
[...]

That's why they have 'NFG' written on them rather than being thrown away.
;-)