Old 01-02-2004, 04:12 AM
Wanda Too

Default Variegated Box Tree

Now that the tree from hell is down, I'm looking into replacing it to
attract birds back into my backyard. The old tree would have been used more
for nesting, I would like any replacement(s) to be used for both if
possible. I would also like the replacement to be under 5m & less likely to
drop lots of leaves & branches. Currently I'm looking at a variegated Box
Tree. Are they the same thing as, or related to, a Brush Box? Does anyone
know the scientific name for the Variegated Box? Also, any other
recommendations of trees or large bushes suitable for the Perth area would
be nice.

Old 01-02-2004, 05:45 AM
len gardener

g'day wanda,

the 'brush box' aka 'qld box' i know is called 'Lophostemon
confertus', a fast growing tree to 50 meters, not something i would
suggest for the 'burbs.

my isp doesn't have alt.binaries.pictures.gardens on their server,
don't know why so unless there is another binaries group for garden
pictures some of us are out in the cold.

maybe you could send me a pic in the e/mail?

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/
Old 01-02-2004, 06:02 AM
China

G'day Wanda,
The Brush Box is Tristania Conferta with the usual
'variegata' as the varietal name for the variegated form. My spelling may
not be exact and there may have been a name change, but nurseries will know
it. I think you will find that it grows considerably higher than 5m if it is
happy. It's a rainforest tree on the east coast and likes to go up into the
canopy when crowded. When planted in the open it forms a large spreading
dome. Councils make a habit of planting them under power lines so that they
have to butcher them every few years. The variegated form is a beautiful
tree but it has a tendency to throw out a green shoot occasionally which
then proceeds to outgrow the variegated branches, destroying the effect
unless removed, which can be hard when it is high in the tree.

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 01-02-2004, 06:34 AM
China

" my isp doesn't have alt.binaries.pictures.gardens on their server,
don't know why so unless there is another binaries group for garden
pictures some of us are out in the cold.

G,day Len
Many servers do not require password log-ins for their news
servers so if you create a new 'account' profile and specify another news
server (i.e. news.bigpond.com ), you should get the groups you are missing.

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 01-02-2004, 09:12 AM
len gardener

g'day china,

so you mean i can access the usenet through bigpond even though i
don't use them as my isp???

i will be giving that a try, just about fed up with my isp trimming
groups off their server.

tahnk you very kindly

len

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 06:18:10 GMT, "China"
wrote:

snipped

Old 01-02-2004, 09:41 AM
len gardener

g'day wanda and also china,

found this link that would indicate their is a name change also the
information indicates as i suggested not the sort of tree for the
'burbs or street trees.

http://www.cuyamaca.net/oh170/Charac..._confertus.asp

also this one with a very nice pictu

http://environment.prsc.qld.gov.au/l..._confertus.asp

maybe lilly pillies might be the go birds like them?

len

snipped

Old 01-02-2004, 10:07 AM
len gardener

g'day china,

i may have done something wrong in setting up the account but when i
tried downloading news groups i got:

"unable to connect to server

Configuration:
Account: news.bigpond.com
Server: news.bigpond.com
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Code: 800ccc0e"

hope there is some way we can make it work?

len

snipped

Old 01-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Shamless Self Promotion

Wanda

I have a varigated queensland box tree in my front courtyard (southern Perth
suburbs). It is a curse - the leaves and bark it sheds are a nuisance, but
the little nuts are domestically referred to as landmines, as they have the
sharpest, nastiest point on the end which points skyward 99.998% of the
time. If you are a good WA gardener and always wear shoes, and don't mind
perpetual mess it will be lovely. Otherwise find a more user friendly tree!
(my work environment sits on 29 acres in Nedlands and is removing zillions
of these trees at great expense)

If I thought I could stand the expense, mess and associated trauma of
getting rid of my courtyard tree it would go too........but it does shade
the azaleas and camellias that grow under it.

Joanne

Old 01-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Wanda Too

There goes that idea then. Can you recommend any other trees that might be
worth looking at? I'm thinking of putting a Harkness Bottlebrush in, but I
think that would only be suitable for the birds as food rather than as a
nesting tree. I suppose I could look at a red Flowering Gum, but I was
wanting to avoid gums because of the amount of leaflitter dropped.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 PM
China

G'day Len,
I'm using Outlook Express, and am not required to enter your
last 2 lines, so uncheck the 'this server requires a secure connection
(SSL)' box, but the first 4 are exactly as I have mine. Maybe check your
'server time-out settings' and increase to 2-3 minutes as big-pond can have
its problems too. If all fails maybe go to the big-pond home pages and
search the help section. Other than that try a different ISP server or even
go to the ' news.groups.questions ' or
' bigpond.support ' news groups, if no one else can come up with a
solution here. Also your ISP may just need to be asked to include the
groups, or if they have been included recently, you may need to download
their listings again.
Sure makes gardening look simple!

You wrote:

Configuration:
Account: news.bigpond.com
Server: news.bigpond.com
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Code: 800ccc0e"

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 02-02-2004, 12:41 AM
len gardener

g'day china,

i'm using oe-xpress also i will recheck the settings.

no good me ringing my isp they simply say if it is not provided it
can't be had, it was there but they removed it.

len

snipped

Old 02-02-2004, 01:07 AM
len gardener

had another look china,

i went back and had a look at what i put in and i inserted none of
wath the error message wrote below the line account: news.bigpond.com.

i got no idea where those other lines mean?

tried again after changing the length of time but still the same
error?

got me lost

len

snipped

Old 02-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Wanda Too

Actually... this tree would be ok in the middle of a garden bed where people
wouldn't walk wouldn't it? Approx. how tall is the tallest Box at work or in
your courtyard?