Bamboo as a hedge in containers

Old 16-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Andr0meda

Default Bamboo as a hedge in containers

Is this a good idea? To grow bamboo as a hedge in very narrow containers, to
save space? What variety of bamboo would work?
Andr0

Old 21-03-2003, 10:44 PM
myk

I thought this was a neat idea. Did you get any answers?

Mike

Old 22-03-2003, 02:44 PM
mullens

Andr0meda wrote:

Is this a good idea? To grow bamboo as a hedge in very narrow containers, to
save space? What variety of bamboo would work?
Andr0

You can do this, but you will need to keep the bamboo well watered and you will
need to take steps to prevent the bamboo from being blown over by the wind.

Certainly, burying the containers would help. Though probably rhizomes would
escape through the drainage holes you would need to incorporate.

I'd use a phyllostachys variety for a fairly high hedge.

Richard
Old 23-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Andr0meda

Many Thanks, Richard!
My situation is a drivaway which is across from the front door, and extends
in front of a loungeroom window. I'd rather see a bamboo from my lounge than
a fence? This is why I need to keep it slender, or I can't try to grow
climbers on my neighbour's fence.
Regards,

Andr0

Old 23-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Chris

"Andr0meda" wrote in message . ..
Many Thanks, Richard!
My situation is a drivaway which is across from the front door, and extends
in front of a loungeroom window. I'd rather see a bamboo from my lounge than
a fence? This is why I need to keep it slender, or I can't try to grow
climbers on my neighbour's fence.
Regards,

I grew some P. Aurea (Golden Bamboo) in some large tupperware-type
tubs in the ground. I dug a hole a little larger thant the tub,
filled about 2" of course rock in the bottom of the hole, opened some
large drainage holes in the bottom of the tub, placed the tub on the
rocks, added another 2" of course rock in the bottom of the tub and
added about an inch of sand. I put a layer of dirt, then the plants,
then finished filling the dirt. In the gap around the outside of the
tub, I filled it the rest of the way with the course rock. The course
rock was meant to keep the rhizomes from running out through the
drainage holes and around the perimeter to discourage rhizomes from
running out of the tub, or at least make it painfully obvious when
they do try to run.

This worked very well, I recently dug it up to plant it elsewhere and
while I we couldn't move the tubs entirely or in tact, when we cut
open the tubs, the root and rhizome mass was impressive. I had a
large root and rhizome mass the exact dimensions of the tub. We had
to cut it into chunks to move it, and it still maintained its formed.
We were VERY impressed.

This method should work for your situation, just make sure you
religiously police the edges of the tub looking for escapees. Golden
bamboo is very beautiful in almost any climate and is very drought
tolerant as well as cold hardy.

Hope it helps!

Chris