Old 03-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Registered User

Red face bamboo problem

Ive recently inherited a garden , I would like to start planting in a plot and tame the bamboo in that area.

The veriety I have in very invasive and with it being a small garden taking up far too much room

I would like to dig a clump up for a large pot and destroy the rest

I have tried using a weed killer to no avail.

The plot is impossible to dig as the roots are so strong

Any advice will be greatfully recieved

Kind regards

Donna
Old 03-01-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Travis M.

Default bamboo problem

"dflux" wrote in message

Ive recently inherited a garden , I would like to start
planting
in a plot and tame the bamboo in that area.

The veriety I have in very invasive and with it being a small
garden
taking up far too much room

I would like to dig a clump up for a large pot and destroy the
rest

I have tried using a weed killer to no avail.

The plot is impossible to dig as the roots are so strong

Any advice will be greatfully recieved

Kind regards

Donna

If you cut down all the culms and then cut off each new shoot as
they emerge from the ground eventually the energy stored in the
rhizomes will be depleted and the boo will be gone. It might
take a long time for the rhizomes to decompose.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 13-01-2006, 08:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Tihomir

About digging a clump for a pot: you just need stronger tools (not sure
about english words for such a sutff), chain saw perhaps?

Or ask professionals for help.

Tihomir

Old 15-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Registered User

The key factor here is probably the weedkiller that you are using - it has to be a systemic one as all the growth potential for bamboos is underground. Have a look here for further details:

http://www.minigroup.com/pfaf/board/viewtopic.php?t=29
Old 18-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflux
Ive recently inherited a garden , I would like to start planting in a plot and tame the bamboo in that area.

The veriety I have in very invasive ....

the solution is

1 - cut between where you want to keep the boo & where it must be removed.
If needed cut what you need to have good access the the drench.
= when done, place a plastic separation.
(eventualy none stay so nothing to do for point 1)

2 - cut ALL culms where the boo is to be detroyed

3 - Wait until spring growth. let is go up...
The boo is using it's stored energy to get new culms up
let it go;
the new culms start branching. they are still soft = let it go up.
The new culms makes thier first leaves = CUT at ground level.

wait again for new growth& go back to point 3.

The more you let the culms grow, the less you will have to do afterward.
After that you can start digging away... or chemicals...