Old 15-04-2003, 04:45 PM
amethyst butterfly

Default Can I have timber bamboo?

I am new to bamboo and I would love to tall (70-80?) bamboo. I think I have
a spot for it. Please give me your opinions.

I am in zone 8b winter temps, zone 9a summer. The summers are hot with no
humidity. We live in a canyon, sorta country-ish, 8 hours sun. The soil is
only 2' deep, with tailings below, however, this area will be irrigated as
well as there was a fig seedling growing there, so there might be a spring
under there? The site is 70' from a creek. The area is approx 20' x 15'.
Although I think I will end up with clumping bamboo, the area is triangular
and completely surrounded by 5" thick concrete with blacktop (asphalt) over
it. One side of the blacktop is against our parking area, the other 2 sides
have a walkway, about 2' wide. Sorry if this is too descriptive.

I would love very tall bamboo. The property has several mature trees,
including a 70' redwood, so I don't think tall bamboo would look out of
place? Can I have timber bamboo? What varieties grow well in my area?
Could I put 2 different varieties in this area or would one look better (how
could I ever select just one???)?

Other questions are, where is a good place to buy? Any tricks on when to
buy? Is there such a thing as bareroot?

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"You might not always get what you want, but you always get what you
expect." Charles Spurgeon

Old 15-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Djubaya

Wendy,

A question is how much wind do you get? If there is too much any timber
bamboo will tend to be stunted. If you get good summer heat P. Henon, P.
Vivax or P. Bambusoides will all do well. They all will tend to max out in
N. Cal at 50 ft. or so... with P. Bambusoides being the tallest.

If you want a clumper, I believe B. Oldhamii will be the tallest.

If you are near Sonoma County I have a grove of P. Bambusoides & P. Henon I
want to thin, if you are interested.

The site you choose should have a physical barrier around it because if you
create conditions suitable to grow the Boo this tall and healthy it will
tend to run... even under concrete and asphalt.

Remember plenty of mulch and summer water.

Good luck,

Djubaya

Old 15-04-2003, 10:44 PM
amethyst butterfly

Wind? Barrier? Oh, guess I better do more research. I'm in Chico. Yes,
to winter wind. Not as bad as the folks in the rice fields, but we do get
some gusts that knock over a wooden 2-seater glider chair...

Barrier? Darn, I was thinking that a horizontal barrier would be enough. I
did a search of this newsgroup in Google and it looks like I need a barrier
that goes down 24"??? Whoa!! Can I use Permalon? I used it when I lined
my pond. Pretty strong stuff. It's sold at
http://www.reefindustries.com/permalon.html ...? However, I'd sure hate to
have to dig it up and put in something else in a few years.

Looks like I better do alot more reading before I decide about bamboo.

Thank you for the insight.

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but only empties today of
its strength." Charles Spurgeon

Old 16-04-2003, 01:09 AM
Djubaya

The wind would be an issue if it was semi regular in the 'growing season'...
summer and fall. Wind in the winter is fine as long as you have enough water
on the roots. If it is strong enough to blow it over stake the plants for
the first couple years (probably want to do this any way)

The barrier should be rigid not flexible. Call Bamboo Sourcery in Sebastopol
707-823-5866 for info on the type they have.
I believe it is a 60 mil plastic sheet, also helps with gophers. The slick
surface of the membrane will cause the rhizome to slide along it rather than
push into it and possibly through it.

Henon seems to be a drought tolerant variety although if you can keep it
moist in the hottest months it tends to be more vigorous.

I went and thinned the Henon today, in fact, and it is in very nice shape
for a three year old grove.

Good luck,

Djubaya

Old 16-04-2003, 02:56 AM
amethyst butterfly

Oh, forgot to ask. Do deer eat bamboo? I bet you they do.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"A woman is like a teabag, only in hot water do you realize how strong she
is." Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 16-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Travis

Have you checked www.bamboopeople.com? There are several Yahoo groups about
all things boo. I like Bamboo Grove at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BambooGrove/ it is a very lively group and off
topic discussions are encouraged.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 16-04-2003, 04:08 PM
amethyst butterfly

Thanks, I'll have a look.

--
Wendy* in N. California,
Lady Amethyst of the Royal Flower Gardens

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson." - Dalai Lama

Old 17-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Travis

Djubaya wrote:
Travis,

I just want to say how very cool I think it is you place your Zone
info after your post... it is like the next Astrology... "hey baby
what's your ZONE?"

It saves having to add it or having to send another message. I only use it
when I post to garden groups.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 27-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amethyst butterfly
I am new to bamboo and I would love to tall (70-80?) bamboo. I think I have
a spot for it. CUT
Hi Wendy,

I am surprised no one has mentioned Ph. Edulis (Common Name "Moso"). This is the tallest variety in the world, and I believe it would like the conditions you describe.

The quickest to reach the heights you descrie would be Ph. Vivax. Vivax is also one of the most beautiful. It's drawback is that it is fairly thin-walled and weak. So strong winds will snap the culms off making a bit of a mess to clean up.

Ph. Bambusoides is one of the strongest and straightest growing bamboos. It will take longer to establish though. It should do beautifully in your climate.

Back to Ph. Edulis (Moso), This is potentially taller than anything else (growing a reacord 155 ft. with a 16" round base in China, but maxing out at around 70 to 90 ft. under the best conditions in the U.S. This is a srtong bamboo that does well in wind. It was the bamboo you probably noticed in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"

My tastes favor the look of Ph. Bambusoides (Especially the smaller 'Castillonis' variety... By smaller, I mean 40+ ft. vs. 60+ ft. for regular Ph. Bambusoides) But Moso is nice too, especially in a well groomed grove. And it will get bigger.

NOTE: This will be a pain to hear, but it is something to be aware of... For best health and vigor, a bamboo needs about as big of diameter to grow in as it has height. This doesn't mean that you need a 60' round area to grow a 60' high bamboo. But this is the optimal thing.

And, just like weeds take nutrients from plants around them, so will two or more bamboos planted together. Most people want an area filled in quick, so they plant several bamboos 5' or so apart. This works, but it slows their ability to achieve height, as each of the individual plants is fighting for the same nutrients.

If you want a really tall bamboo, buy the biggest single plant you can afford. Then till the area it is to go in with compost (composted steer manure is good) and peat moss... Churn it into a big thick bed of plant happiness with very light fertilizer. (With fertilizer, less is definitely more, especially for bamboo).

Then, plant your big single plant right in the middle and plant a weak ground cover that the bamboo can take over as it grows... I think Irish Moss or Creeping Thyme would be great for this.

In 3 or 4 years, you will have a real focal point in the area... in 10 years, you might have a few culms up there in the 50-60 ft. range. In 15 years, you should have a small forest.

As for containment, bamboo is strong but not magic... I didn't quite understand what you described, but I can say this... Asphalt will be cracked up by the bamboo rhizomes. It is flexible and is easily broken over the course of a few years.

Thin or unreinforced concrete can eventually be broken up, but is much more difficult for the bamboo to get through. People used to use concrete as a bamboo barrier. But usually due to poor construction, a high percentage of these barriers failed (Though it usually took 20+ years in the cases I read about).

Concrete cracks. So, if it is not reinforced, it is possible to wedge something in the crack and pry the two parts apart. Or, if a slab is small, like a sidewalk, it is not too hard to pry up on it and lift the slab.

Cheers!