Old 26-10-2006, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Default Please help with my Budda Belly

I recently purchased some #5 Budda Belly plants and the
leaves are beginning to dry and turn a light grayish green color
from the edge of the leaf migrating toward the center. Too
little water? Too much water? Any pointers are greatly
appreciated.
jtravoli
Sacramento, CA

Old 12-11-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

I had the similar problem with one of the lucky bamboo stem and asked
the vendor what to do. These are the tips I got from the vendor:
1) Change water very 2 weeks, make sure water is neight hot nor cold,
but in room temperature, when changing.
2) Lucky bamboo (and/or Budda Belly) need water logged around its base
or roots, which is not to be confused with other varieties of bamboos
that need the water drained away from their root systems.
3) You can plant them directy in water and/or on a base or river
pebbles or rocks but not soil. Water logged soil will rotts the bamboos
roots.
4) If the leaf is really turning brown or gray, using a sharp knife cut
it and remove the leaf. This will help, if it its caused by some
disease, not to spread to other parts of the plant.
5) Dont place it in direct sun or very bright light source.

Here is a link, that I found very hepful also.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_containe...493258,00.html

Hope this helps and enjoy growing indoor plants.

Sam

Old 13-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravoli
I recently purchased some #5 Budda Belly plants and the
leaves are beginning to dry and turn a light grayish green color
from the edge of the leaf migrating toward the center. Too
little water? Too much water? Any pointers are greatly
appreciated.
jtravoli
Sacramento, CA
There is a bamboo called Bambusa ventricosa "Buddha's Belly", which is this:
http://www.bamboowholesale.com.au/html/ventricosa.html
However the comment by sv2021, referring to "lucky bamboo", which is not bamboo but a dracaena, makes me suspect you may also have something which is not bamboo, ie, a 'Buddha Belly plant', Jatropha podagrica, which is a euphorbia, this:
http://www.rareflora.com/jatrophapodagrica.html
I know nothing about the latter, but you will find instructions on the above link, and elsewhere if you search. If you have the bamboo, I would suggest read the recent thread on Phyllostachys Bissetti, which will tell you what you need to know about bamboos not doing very well in containers. B. ventricosa does need to be containerised or otherwise stressed to get it to "belly" properly, but that doesn't mean it can be left in the small container that the garden centre gave you.

Please,Please, Please prune David Hill United Kingdom 27 31-10-2012 06:42 PM
Damping Off - Help Please, please, please Judith Smith United Kingdom 12 04-04-2009 06:06 PM
Buddah's belly stem Bryan Siy Bamboo 0 16-01-2008 09:14 AM
Please, please, please Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 16-12-2006 02:19 PM
budha belly Paul Anthony Timmins Bamboo 1 09-06-2003 05:08 PM