Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Default Dying Lucky Bamboo

My 7year old daughter was given a lucky bamboo some 4.5 years ago which has
lived quite happily, in a demi-john with a couple of inches of water in the
bottom, until quite recently. In the last year the stem has gone brown and
woody, with some parts rather blackened and wrinkled and one bit has mould
growing on it. The leaves are brown and dry. We moved about 18m ago, and
now live in an area where the water is heavily chlorinated - I don't know if
that has anything to do with it.

There are two parts - at the bottom with the roots and at the top - which
are still green. Can I save it? How?

Thank you very much.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

"Julia Royce" wrote in message
My 7year old daughter was given a lucky bamboo some 4.5 years ago
which has
lived quite happily, in a demi-john with a couple of inches of water
in the
bottom, until quite recently. In the last year the stem has gone brown
and
woody, with some parts rather blackened and wrinkled and one bit has
mould
growing on it. The leaves are brown and dry. We moved about 18m ago,
and
now live in an area where the water is heavily chlorinated - I don't
know if
that has anything to do with it.

There are two parts - at the bottom with the roots and at the top -
which
are still green. Can I save it? How?

Thank you very much.

Lucky bamboo is not bamboo. It is a Dracena. They are cheap and
everywhere. Buy a new one and plant it is potting soil.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 03-04-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Registered User

Hi Julia,

Sorry to hear about your plant... It's a goner. Apparently (and I have
no idea if this is just an internet myth), it is also potentially a
health hazard... Several places that talk about dracenia advise to get
rid of it at once if it starts to rot, which is what you describe.

Anyway, there is a wikihow article on lucky bamboo that has a lot of
info on taking care of it. My guess is that the chlorine is not at all
good for it... If you get another one, you might have to find a source
of non-chlorinated water for it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-Lucky-Bamboo

Cheers!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

"HumanJHawkins" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Why not pot it up?

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 14-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Hampshire

I potted four of mine up into normal potting soil, keep them in the conservatory and they are growing fine

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis M. View Post
[...]

What's wrong with my lucky bamboo? Alwyn Williams United Kingdom 2 18-07-2007 11:17 AM
Lucky Bamboo Merrill Speeter Gardening 18 15-04-2003 12:32 PM
Lucky bamboo? Karen Texas 23 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Lucky bamboo? Karen Texas 5 27-03-2003 09:56 AM
Lucky Bamboo Indoor Plant TheresaKyn Bamboo 1 10-03-2003 08:24 AM