Old 31-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Registered User

Question Dying bamboo screen

I planted a screen of 25 Fargesia nitida two years ago. They flowered last autumn and now look as though they're dead. The supplier doesn't appear to be interested in replacing them and has suggested that they may improve when the weather warms up. I appreciate comments please. Thanks.
Old 31-03-2008, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Default Dying bamboo screen

--
Mrs P

Plant something else, bamboo does flower and die occassionally during
the natural life cycle.
You might get some regrowth, might not.
If I was a grower I wouldn't feel any obligation to replace them
either.
Did you collect any viable seed?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
I planted a screen of 25 Fargesia nitida two years ago. They flowered last autumn and now look as though they're dead. The supplier doesn't appear to be interested in replacing them and has suggested that they may improve when the weather warms up. I appreciate comments please. Thanks.
Well obviously they won't improve when the weather warms up. He is either ignorant or dishonest. But ignorance is no defence. He shouldn't have sold you 25 pre-flowering F nitidas, which no doubt cost you some hundreds of pounds, without warning you that they were short-term ornaments. Just google "Fargesia nitida flowering" to get the evidence. Visit the websites of reputable suppliers such as uk-bamboos.co.uk to read what they say ie, "this variety not for sale due to flowering" and "what we do sell is guaranteed post-flowering generation stock", that's what a supplier of F. nitida should have been doing. All this was well known more than 2 years ago. Indeed post-flowering generation stock has been available for more than 2 years, albeit not a great deal of it.

Hopefully he will see sense, but if not you'll have to threaten him with the small claims court.
Old 24-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
I planted a screen of 25 Fargesia nitida two years ago. They flowered last autumn and now look as though they're dead. The supplier doesn't appear to be interested in replacing them and has suggested that they may improve when the weather warms up. I appreciate comments please. Thanks.
I'm not sure if i am right in saying this but i had the same problem with this variety so spoke to the garden centre where i bought it. They kindly refunded my money and said they were not selling any more bamboos as there was a problem with cloning and although you think you are buying a young plant in reality you could be getting a geriatric! They also said once they have flowered they die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bamboo Privacy Screen Mitch Bamboo 7 17-03-2007 07:24 AM
Arrow bamboo screen Ken Bamboo 5 14-08-2006 12:55 AM
bamboo as a screen-anyone tried it? mrs-baggins United Kingdom 20 27-03-2006 05:56 PM
Bamboo as a low screen Smith-Jones Bamboo 0 18-09-2005 12:34 AM
POOL SCREEN AVAILABLE HERE (LANAI SCREEN POOL CAGE ) The Poolscreen Guy Lawns 2 13-10-2004 02:06 AM