Old 31-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Registered User

Location: England
Default Need help with my bamboo

Hello could anybody please give me advice on my bamboo?

I have it in the middle of my bedroom windowsill, it looks as if it is wilting and some of the leaves have gone yellow but the sponge still stays wet.

If anybody could give me any advice, I would be very grateful.

Thank u

Shelley
Old 09-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt006b1198 View Post
Hello could anybody please give me advice on my bamboo?

I have it in the middle of my bedroom windowsill, it looks as if it is wilting and some of the leaves have gone yellow but the sponge still stays wet.

If anybody could give me any advice, I would be very grateful.
You have Lucky Bamboo, which is not real bamboo. It is only intended as a temporary amusement in the condition in which you bought it.

If you want to grow it on as a dracaena plant (which is what it is) then just pot it up into an ordinary houseplant compost and it will grow. Further advice on keeping it can be googled.
Old 14-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Registered User

Location: England
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
You have Lucky Bamboo, which is not real bamboo. It is only intended as a temporary amusement in the condition in which you bought it.

If you want to grow it on as a dracaena plant (which is what it is) then just pot it up into an ordinary houseplant compost and it will grow. Further advice on keeping it can be googled.
Hi.

Thank u for the information that u sent me, I didn't know that it wasn't a real bamboo (unfortunatley it has not been that lucky for me lol)

Ok, will put it in a pot and try and grow it as a house plant and see how it goes.

I was a bit worried when I saw it looking poorley as it is the only plant that I have managed to keep for such a long time lol.

Thank u once again

Kind regards

Shelley
Old 15-06-2008, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

--
mt006b1198

Just weight the bottom of the stem(s) and put it in a glass of water. It
doesn't need soil. If you pot it in soil, make sure you never let it
completely dry out and keep it out of strong direct sunlight.

Old 15-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Registered User

Location: England

Hi.

I took it out of its little dish and put it into a vase of water and then seperated all the stems.

I had to throw some of them away as they had gone completely yellow but I did plant a few green ones in a pot with a little soil and have just kept them in one of those round trays with a little water in the bottom.

I have had it for about 2 years now and am just wondering if it is too late to save it as it was in the same pot when I first bought it.

I have put it on top of my music player which is just underneath my windowsill.

Do u think they will be ok?

Thanks

Shelley

Old 18-06-2008, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

"mt006b1198" wrote in message

[snip]

I have put it on top of my music player which is just underneath my
windowsill.

Do u think they will be ok?

Thanks

Shelley

Shelley -- it depends upon three things --

Enough sunlight without overdoing it and burning the plants

Enough clean water so that they don't dry out, but don't rot away either,
and

Be careful of the music -- Definitely no rock or opera -- "Tommy" (rock
opera) is doubly out. Try to play music that is relevant to vegetation.
You can probably get away with a little "Woodstock" music, Rainy Days and
Mondays, "Good Earth" by Woody Herman, Second-hand Rose, Lullaby of the
Leaves, Willow Weep for Me -- you get the idea.