Old 25-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Registered User

Default Need advice! Bamboos are dying

I bought 3 bamboos 6 months ago - two black and one golden for indoor container. They were fine, even few culms showed up. But now- golden is dead (I will try to save it)... And two blacks looks really bad.. I do not know why.. I was thinking you might help me. Maybe that container is too tall and it started roting. Here are pics of container and current look of my bamboos leaves. Maybe i should transplant it to different container and soil, and put to lighter space.. Im affraid that it will not survive transplanting... I really do not know what to do..... Desperate...

Pls help..

http://www.biteplius.lt/lt/2content....8-=(2013516980
Old 27-07-2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

One of the biggest problems folks have with potted plants of any kind are
too much or too little water. Most plants can handle or even need a
thorough drenching but need to dry out pretty good in between. If the roots
aren't allowed to dry out some between waterings they will rot.

I've got a timber bamboo planted last fall in soil that has a tendancy to
hold the water. It didn't do much all winter long while it rained but as
soon as it got hot and the ground started to dry up it got bushy looking and
the roots started spreading out (I could tell cause one of them hit cement
and pushed itself up out of the ground). Keeping in mind that Bamboo's like
"regular" watering - don't keep them soaked _all_ the time.

Kyle J.

"Organic Brigita" wrote in
message ...

http://tinyurl.com/647zsb

--
Organic Brigita

Old 28-07-2008, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:29:39 +0100, Organic Brigita
wrote:

I bought 3 bamboos 6 months ago - two black and one golden for indoor
container. They were fine, even few culms showed up. But now- golden is
dead (I will try to save it)... And two blacks looks really bad.. I do
not know why.. I was thinking you might help me. Maybe that container
is too tall and it started roting. Here are pics of container and
current look of my bamboos leaves. Maybe i should transplant it to
different container and soil, and put to lighter space.. Im affraid
that it will not survive transplanting... I really do not know what to
do..... Desperate...

Pls help..

http://tinyurl.com/647zsb

What container. I can't see it. They like lots of water. I have the so
called lucky bamboo and it has been going for 4 years. I always keep
the little pot full of water with the rocks to keep the bamboo
together and upright.
Old 28-07-2008, 07:35 PM
barrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevan View Post
What container. I can't see it. They like lots of water. I have the so
called lucky bamboo and it has been going for 4 years. I always keep
the little pot full of water with the rocks to keep the bamboo
together and upright.
this is missleading - "lucky" bamboo isn't actually a bamboo at all - it's a misnomer. its actually a plant called Dracaena. if you keep true bamboo in a pot full of water it will die !

back to the issue - as far as i know neither black or golden bamboo will grow successfully indoors.
Old 29-07-2008, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

On Jul 25, 2:29*pm, Organic Brigita Organic.Brigita.
wrote:
I bought 3 bamboos 6 months ago - two black and one golden for indoor
container. They were fine, even few culms showed up. But now- golden is
dead (I will try to save it)... And two blacks looks really bad.. I do
not know why.. I was thinking you might help me. Maybe that container
is too tall and it started roting. Here are pics of container and
current look of my bamboos leaves. Maybe i should transplant it to
different container and soil, and put to lighter space.. Im affraid
that it will not survive transplanting... I really do not know what to
do..... Desperate...

Pls help..

http://tinyurl.com/647zsb

--
Organic Brigita

I can't grow these as houseplants.
But I can tell you that most grasses grown as houseplants must have
perfect drainage, wet containers or clay or muck soils kill roots.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Brigita View Post
Maybe i should transplant it to different container and soil, and put to lighter space.. Im affraid that it will not survive transplanting...
The best place to transplant them to would be the ground. They are quite tolerant of repotting, so if they are still alive I imagine they would survive transplanting. But they are much easier to grow in the ground than in pots. These kinds of bamboo naturally grow in places with a severe winter (eg, mountains in the interior of China) and so are typically hardy to below -20C. So (guessing you are in Lithuania) I imagine they would do well outdoors even in Vilnius, provided the growing season is long enough. In a pot, it is more difficult to overwinter them, since in a pot the roots can get much colder than they would in the ground. Also water transport continues in the ground in the winter, but in a pot the frozen outer layer can hinder water transport, leaving the bamboo to die of drought.

Like the others, I think that your main problem is either underwatering or waterlogging, it is difficult to tell which since the symptoms are similar. From the pictures, I see someting that looks lika about an 80cm cube, if that is the container then that is a good size/shape for growing containerised bamboo. They need drainage holes (another good reason this is difficult indoors given the quantity of water you will need, and the amount that will drain out of the bottom) and a well-drained but water-retentive medium, eg, a mix of compost and garden soil (not heavy clay), with some added sand and grit for improved drainage if necessary.

Cultivation of hardy bamboos in a indoor environment suited to human habitation is likely to be difficult. Apart from the logistical problems of watering and draining a container probably weighing several hundred kg, the environment will be insufficiently humid, and the plants would like to have a winter.

Bamboos for hedging MohammedM Bamboo 2 01-07-2009 07:38 PM
Advice please to save bamboos wang Bamboo 2 28-04-2008 01:25 PM
Getting prepped for Mass Plantings of Bamboos.. suggestions and advice??? RainLover Bamboo 6 11-03-2005 09:25 PM
OT - Bamboos & Willows SamMan Bamboo 4 11-09-2003 02:02 PM
advice needed about moso, vivax and yellow groove bamboos Stephen Bamboo 0 18-04-2003 10:58 AM