Old 07-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered User

Default Bamboo hedge/screen

Can anyone tell me about the bamboo species 'Clumping' said not to spread beyond their designated barrier....does one have to tell them? heh! heh!.

Thing is I've been reading up and they like afternoon shade which where I would like to plant them replacing a dead ivy hedge they would get sun all day in our 'North' facing garden.

Now the big one 'Er indoors' say NO to bamboo they spread! I want to use them to replace a collapsed dead Ivy hedge on the North boundary of our garden which in neighbour to our Aunts bungalow who incedentally has bamboo in the drive and against the back fence to the neighbouring property. Thoughts if I find out they are 'Clumping' will dig out either full plant ( I hope) or the rhizones. I've looked up the price and in state of shock for establish potted plant so looking for the rhizones.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Choose the bamboo plants that are ideal for hedging, Phyllostachys Bissetii variety grows very powerfully and is always the first to give new shoots. The pant has delicate and decorative dark green leaves which will generally survive the winter period with little. Try this plant it is used as an excellent hedging plant and likes full sun or half shade and it grow approximately 6 - 7m high.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 17-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie2 View Post
Can anyone tell me about the bamboo species 'Clumping' said not to spread beyond their designated barrier....does one have to tell them? heh! heh!.
If you are in a cool climate with frosty winters, the true clumping species that you can grow are generally those in Fargesia and Thamnocalamus genus, also maybe some Borinda.

If you are in a subtropical climate or with only very light frosts, there are many more.

Phyllostachys are runners.

Arrow bamboo screen Ken Bamboo 5 14-08-2006 12:55 AM
bamboo as a screen-anyone tried it? mrs-baggins United Kingdom 20 27-03-2006 05:56 PM
Absolute fastest Growing hedge plant for tall privacy screen???? joe Gardening 8 01-03-2006 05:22 PM
Shade tolerant hedge, screen or climber Ian Keeling United Kingdom 6 23-02-2005 09:51 AM
POOL SCREEN AVAILABLE HERE (LANAI SCREEN POOL CAGE ) The Poolscreen Guy Lawns 2 13-10-2004 02:06 AM