Lucky Bamboo About to die

Old 18-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Default Lucky Bamboo About to die

Im looking for some advice on how to save some Lucky Bamboo. Ive had an 18 length sitting in a jug of water for over two years now and have given it little care or attention. Just before xmas the base of the leaves turned brown as has part of the stem. In an attempt to save the bamboo I added a little flower food to the water. Not sure what type it was, just the stuff you get free when you buy a bunch of flowers. Any suggestions how to save the bamboo and ideally transfer it to the garden in the spring? Thanks for any advice.
Old 19-01-2010, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

nukem88 wrote:
Im looking for some advice on how to save some Lucky Bamboo. Ive had
an 18 length sitting in a jug of water for over two years now and have
given it little care or attention. Just before xmas the base of the
leaves turned brown as has part of the stem. In an attempt to save the
bamboo I added a little flower food to the water. Not sure what type it
was, just the stuff you get free when you buy a bunch of flowers. Any
suggestions how to save the bamboo and ideally transfer it to the garden
in the spring? Thanks for any advice.

From experience I learned that to much sunlight can kill Lucky Bamboo.
I moved some, that was doing good, to a spot in the house where it got
more light and it died quick.

It might be time for you to transplant yours into potting soil. I
did mine soon after I got it and it is doing well, except for the one
that got to much light. When I transplanted mine some of it was so
yellow and dead looking, I thought it would never live, but after a few
months it turned green and has grown a lot.

I can't find the documentation that came with mine, but I think it
said Lucky Bamboo can't live outside in an area that gets colder
than 50 degrees F.

Good Luck
mysterious Traveler

Old 22-01-2010, 12:12 PM

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Originally Posted by nukem88 View Post
Im looking for some advice on how to save some Lucky Bamboo. Ive had an 18 length sitting in a jug of water for over two years now and have given it little care or attention. Just before xmas the base of the leaves turned brown as has part of the stem. In an attempt to save the bamboo I added a little flower food to the water. Not sure what type it was, just the stuff you get free when you buy a bunch of flowers. Any suggestions how to save the bamboo and ideally transfer it to the garden in the spring? Thanks for any advice.
Google "lucky bamboo care" and you'll find all you need to know.

Dracaena sanderiana, as it is, isn't really bamboo. It is more closely related to hyacinths and agaves than grasses. It is native originally to Cameroon and it will only grow out of doors in tropical climates.

You can cut any rotten bit of the stem off, it will regrow from quite a short piece as long as it has a couple of nodes and isn't rotten.
Old 18-07-2012, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

--
nukem88

from what i understand, lucky bamboo is not bamboo

lucky bamboo grows roots in water, but should be moved to a pot with soil and should not be kept in just water.

you should fertilize it with some super green and cut off any rotten spots and attempt to re-root it
Old 19-10-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by nukem88 View Post
Im looking for some advice on how to save some Lucky Bamboo. Ive had an 18 length sitting in a jug of water for over two years now and have given it little care or attention. Just before xmas the base of the leaves turned brown as has part of the stem. In an attempt to save the bamboo I added a little flower food to the water. Not sure what type it was, just the stuff you get free when you buy a bunch of flowers. Any suggestions how to save the bamboo and ideally transfer it to the garden in the spring? Thanks for any advice.
I hope your plant dies you son of a bitch
Old 19-10-2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by nukem88 View Post
Im looking for some advice on how to save some Lucky Bamboo. Ive had an 18 length sitting in a jug of water for over two years now and have given it little care or attention. Just before xmas the base of the leaves turned brown as has part of the stem. In an attempt to save the bamboo I added a little flower food to the water. Not sure what type it was, just the stuff you get free when you buy a bunch of flowers. Any suggestions how to save the bamboo and ideally transfer it to the garden in the spring? Thanks for any advice.
you put bamboo up your bum?