Old 27-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Registered User

Smile topping

hello there!

when is the best time to top bamboo??

i have a phylostachys nigra nenonis which has just shot up some massive culms in the space of 2weeks!! absolutely stunning, 1 inch thick and around 2 meters high! the only problem is i cant have them taller than this.. should i clip the tips now to stop upward growth, or leave it to grow fully and mature before topping??

will i damage the canes if i top now?

thank you for your time folks!
Old 28-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by polecat View Post
hello there!

when is the best time to top bamboo??

i have a phylostachys nigra nenonis which has just shot up some massive culms in the space of 2weeks!! absolutely stunning, 1 inch thick and around 2 meters high! the only problem is i cant have them taller than this.. should i clip the tips now to stop upward growth, or leave it to grow fully and mature before topping??

will i damage the canes if i top now?

thank you for your time folks!
Strange choice of plant if you can't have it taller than 2m. Most of us are delighted when our bamboo does this, it is what we planted it for. And it is not really going to look right, in my view, shortened that much. Perhaps you'd be better off moving it to somewhere it is allowed to grow, and instead put there a reliable 2m high bamboo like Fargesia rufa.

I think you are at risk of the culm aborting if you top it while it is still shooting. I'd give it time to expand fully, and then top it.

Adding dechlorinator when topping up - kinda long Mike Patterson Ponds 7 01-04-2004 09:16 PM
Topping Silver Birch trees hendo2002 United Kingdom 11 27-08-2003 09:24 PM
Conditioning water for topping-up pond ? Conrad Ponds 4 30-06-2003 04:32 PM
Topping Up Bill Spohn Ponds 1 09-06-2003 05:08 AM
Topping off pond question claude rogers Ponds 27 04-06-2003 08:56 PM