Old 31-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Registered User

Default p bissetti query

Hi all, i am hoping to get some feedback on the following scenario. I have a small place in central france with a traffic noise issue, and after doing some research, was thinking of planting p bissetti just inside a thick hedge which runs about 15 metres along the noisy boundary. One about every metre so i gather. Most of this planting area gets a lot of direct sunlight, which can be very hot in high summer. Also can go to minus 15 or 20 in winter. The ground is quite fertile and well draining. My questions are...

Is p bissetti a suitable bamboo for this environment and for what i intend. It seems so from what i read but people might have other experiences..

Also, i would really rather not have to bury a 15 metre liner both sides of the plants to contain the spread... can it be contained on my side with regular trimming and maintenance? And will the dense hedging on the other side prevent it running into the adjacent field..

Please let me know your views, and many thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

--
mphayden

The species is an aggressive runner, I doubt a dense hedge would
delay it for very long.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

wrote:
[...]

Many of us learned about the hedges in france. But visit a local garden
to see the growth rate of that plant here it is 20 feet tall and the
most aggressive I have seen. It will own that field if not contained.
But less than 50 miles north it will not see ten feet.

http://technologyracingservices.com/conference/
Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Thanks for your input, both. Looks like more research is necessary. Yes, when i get back i will check out some garden centres again... there wasn't much around when i was there last time though (mainly small clumping varieties). Can anyone suggest a less aggressive runner which might get to 5 metres for the climate mentioned above? I accept that for the job i need my bamboo to do, i might just have to line the thing.

I am looking to generate a dense hedge 15m x 4m x 3 or 4m high, which will be contained on one side by an existing field hedge and can be managed on the other with no need for lining. I am assuming that apart from the lining and the issue of how tall the thing gets depending on my location, that the bissetti is otherwise a reasonable choice?

I do appreciate that this might be asking too much but hey.. this is what the forum is for! Any comments welcome and thanks again.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Once established P. bissettii will run underground towards warmth and
moisture 80% of it's height in a season.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphayden View Post
Thanks for your input, both. Looks like more research is necessary. Yes, when i get back i will check out some garden centres again... there wasn't much around when i was there last time though (mainly small clumping varieties). Can anyone suggest a less aggressive runner which might get to 5 metres for the climate mentioned above? I accept that for the job i need my bamboo to do, i might just have to line the thing.

I am looking to generate a dense hedge 15m x 4m x 3 or 4m high, which will be contained on one side by an existing field hedge and can be managed on the other with no need for lining. I am assuming that apart from the lining and the issue of how tall the thing gets depending on my location, that the bissetti is otherwise a reasonable choice?
To know what kind of a runner is not an aggressive runner in a specific conditions, you'd really have to take very local advice. If you are going to plant at 1m intervals, why not plant a clumper instead? Take a few years, but they'll fill out to a metre across. In terms of the -20C minimum, you are pretty much restricted to Fargesia. You can get Fargesias that will grow to your desired height. Though they might need a bit of watering in a hot dry spell in the summer.

Btw what's in this field the other side of the hedge? If it's livestock, then you haven't a problem as they will eat the shoots anyway.

another phal query rick Orchids 1 23-03-2003 04:08 AM
B & D lubrication query Flynn United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 05:44 PM
Phytatray query rick Orchids 0 25-01-2003 05:34 PM
Query Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 0 05-11-2002 10:09 AM
Leek query? Mary Fisher United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 05:29 PM