Old 18-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Dr. greenthumb's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Fife
Question How long for bamboo to reastablish?

Hi everyone,

i'm new on this forum by the way, we have recently moved house and have had to replant some more of my black and golden bamboo, i have also had a custom planter built by my jolly self and seems to be doing a great job! the bamboo was planted in early march in there final position, but i think they suffered a little, one of the five has lost all leaves, will the best thing to do be to just keep at it? i'm kind of new at keeping bamboo, and i have never done this before, will they take long to reastablish?

also the weather here in Fife, Scotland, has been quite poor for the summer monthes this year, could this play a part in it's wellfare? i think it could well be,.. but i'm just not very sure.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dr. G.
Old 19-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. greenthumb View Post
we have recently moved house and have had to replant some more of my black and golden bamboo ... the bamboo was planted in early march in there final position, but i think they suffered a little, one of the five has lost all leaves, will the best thing to do be to just keep at it? i'm kind of new at keeping bamboo, and i have never done this before, will they take long to reastablish?

also the weather here in Fife, Scotland, has been quite poor for the summer monthes this year, could this play a part in it's wellfare? i think it could well be,.. but i'm just not very sure.
When you dig up bamboo and replant it, you lose a lot of the fine roots that collect water and food for the plant. It is normal in this situation to reduce the stress on the plant by reducing the above-ground plant, so it can concentrate on rebuilding the root system. This reduction can be done by reducing the number of culms, shortening culms, or even by a partial deleafing. This reduces the risk of the full deleafing that you experienced with one plant.

Unfortunately by failing to do this, you have probably slowed down the re-establishment. You can now get a "re-juvenation", in the bad sense, ie, the plant starts to send up smaller juvenile culms, which will then take a few years to mature again.

Black bamboo likes warmer conditions, so I expect this could be slower. Depending exactly what you mean by golden bamboo, there are some that are quite happy in the cooler conditions of E Scotland.

Depending upon how mature the plant was when you dug it up, feed it very well - now is a very good time of year to feed them heavily to get good growth next year - and maybe it will recover in 2-3 years, less if it wasn't very old to start with.
Old 21-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Dr. greenthumb's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Fife
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
[...]

Hi,

Thats what i had cross my mind! the specimens of golden bamboo look like they are several years old and are 8' plus in height. i will get to the local garden store and see about a high nitrogen food/fertiliser and if i find something suitable i will stock up on it!! the black bamboo's look fine except for the one that lost all the leaves, the other ones are starting to grow fresh new leaves which can only be a good sign i assume. hopefully we are in the area to stay and will not be moving house again for years to come.

Thanks for you're help!!

Regards, Dr. G
Old 14-08-2011, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Default How long for bamboo to reastablish?

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:07:31 +0000, Dr. greenthumb wrote:

echinosum;930474 Wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't use a high nitrogen fertilizer.
Bamboo is a grass so a fertilizer specifically for lawn would be more
apppropriate. I would suggest an organic as opposed to a chemical type.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 15-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I wouldn't use a high nitrogen fertilizer.
Bamboo is a grass so a fertilizer specifically for lawn would be more
apppropriate.
You are quite right Travis, high N is the wrong kind. You want a fertiliser to encourage root development, such as bonemeal.

Old 17-08-2011, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

I would use no chemical fertilizer the first year at all. But I would
mulch heavily with compost, shredded leaves, grass clippings etc.
Just don't pile clippings up high enough that they heat up.

Old 31-08-2011, 09:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Travis;932940 Wrote:
I wouldn't use a high nitrogen fertilizer.
Bamboo is a grass so a fertilizer specifically for lawn would be more
apppropriate.

You are quite right Travis, high N is the wrong kind. You want a
fertiliser to encourage root development, such as bonemeal.

Actually lawn fertilizers are high nitrogen, 60, 38, 8 was one I used
when I was in the "Trade"
--

09=IX
Old 09-10-2011, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 01:41:14 -0700, Garrapata wrote:

Travis;932940 Wrote:
I wouldn't use a high nitrogen fertilizer.
Bamboo is a grass so a fertilizer specifically for lawn would be more
apppropriate.

You are quite right Travis, high N is the wrong kind. You want a
fertiliser to encourage root development, such as bonemeal.

Actually lawn fertilizers are high nitrogen, 60, 38, 8 was one I used
when I was in the "Trade"

Lawn/grass fertilizers should have a ratio of 3/1/2.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 16-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Registered User

Thumbs up

As per my experience i only like to tell you that you from bottom of this tree we only cut it and then panted it in soil. then after a lots of water it require to make it a long and healthy tree.
Old 23-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Alllee's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by covetus3090 View Post
As per my experience i only like to tell you that you from bottom of this tree we only cut it and then panted it in soil. then after a lots of water it require to make it a long and healthy tree.
sorry to quote...
Well Behaved Bamboo
Easy to grow
Adapts to many soils and climates
Disease and pest resistant
Low maintenance
Drought tolerant

Of all the plants in the true bamboo family, Black Bamboo is the most handsome of all. Wherever you have the perfect spot for a tall narrow accent that calls for dark dramatic accent, Black Bamboo is excellent. The rich black canes of this mountain bamboo are wonderful looking against the light green foliage.

Did you know that Bamboos are great indoor container plants?
This means that all you bamboo lovers in the colder states can enjoy the sensational beauty of Black Bamboo on the patio in summer and for indoor gardening in winter. Black Bamboo does get rather tall, making it a great house plant in a bright cathedral ceiling room. It will over winter best in a cool area of your house that remains at about 55˚.

In your yard or garden, this lovely bamboo is an easy to grow specimen.
Black Bamboo has a wonderful natural shape that tends to weep beautifully under the weight of rain or snow. It is a running form of bamboo, so proper planning of where to place it for naturalizing is wise. As with all types of spreading bamboo, you can easily contain it in a certain area of your yard. A strong constructed in ground confinement tactics such as submersed concreted containers of large proportions. If you use this tactic, choose a round shape and remove the bottom entirely.

This rare and enticing Black Bamboo plant will be a delight to every homeowner.
For best results bright filtered shade to part sun locations will be best. Bamboo will quickly adapt to most soil types and is winter hardy without leaf damage to a low of 10˚. Because it is an evergreen plant, you will want to shelter it from winter winds in the colder regions of the hardiness zones. It is virtually pest and disease free allowing you to enjoy its special beauty in a yard that remains safely chemical free.

Brighter Blooms has an excellent supply of handsome Black Bamboo this season.
Your new rare evergreen plant will arrive in excellent vigorous condition. We ship to all states within a couple of days and always practice excellent packaging methods. We know you are going to be thrilled with the lushness and beauty your new Black Bamboo will add to your home from day one.