Old 30-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered User

Exclamation Nandina domestica/Sacred Bamboo...dead or not???

I have a Nandina Domestica in my West faced balcony. When I bought it a month ago, it was really beautiful and healthy but now the leaves are very very dry, brownish and almost crinkled....what happened? I have watered it regularly and also added some general purpose plant food, I just want to know what I have done wrong and if the plant is dead?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurap74 View Post
I have a Nandina Domestica in my West faced balcony. When I bought it a month ago, it was really beautiful and healthy but now the leaves are very very dry, brownish and almost crinkled....what happened? I have watered it regularly and also added some general purpose plant food, I just want to know what I have done wrong and if the plant is dead?
Sacred bamboo is not actually bamboo in the same way that a prairie dog isn't actually a dog. SB is actually a shrub in the barberry family.

I can't tell from that whether it is dead or not. It might be alive.

It is deciduous in colder areas of its range, so if you bought a greenhouse grown one, and put it on a balcony in a region with overnight frosts at this time of year, it could have decided to just lose its leaves. In fact, leaves that are grown in indoor conditions are particularly prone to be lost when suddenly exposed to outdoor conditions, especially at cooler times of year, so if it was greenhouse grown, even if it wasn't actually frosty, just cool and a bit windy, it might lose its leaves.

But it might not be.

Another possibility is that you drowned it. Is the pot free-draining and have water holes to drain excess water from it - did the water actually drain freely from the bottom when you watered it? Did you put it in a deep outer bowl and leave it standing in a deep pool of water?

Another possibility is that it died from cold. It is hardy to about -12C / +10F when grown in the ground. But in a pot it would only survive more modest frosts as the pot itself might get frozen through.