Old 15-04-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Best/Easy way to get rid of Bamboo?

About 10 years ago, my parents decided to harvest some bamboo from a
family friend.

We placed them along the border of our yard.

Flash forward a few years...they start appearing in our neighbors yard.

So I spent 3 years a day for a week pulling bamboo out of the ground.
I dug until I got to the bamboo then tried pulling it out.

As you all know their roots go out far (in all directions), so pulling
took ALOT of effort.

Now they are over running our yard and our neighbors yard again.

What can we do?

Is there a spray that we can use that wont kill our grass but will kill
the bamboo?

Is there a easier way to get rid of them?

Thanks

Old 15-04-2005, 04:30 PM

Run over the new shoots your neighbors with the lawnmower and dig
down

I wish we could.
Our bamboo runs along most of the border of the fence, and along their
side of the fence they have a garden.

So the bamboo is coming up in the garden among their flowers.

and cut off the rhizome where it leaves your yard.

Hell, I dont even know where the bamboo is leaving from.

Some of the spots where it has appeared, there isnt even any bamboo on
my side!

I want to get rid of our bamboo too.
I wish there was an easy way...I want to invite a panda over and have
him go crazy in the yard.

Old 15-04-2005, 04:48 PM
ems

In article . com,
wrote:

I want to get rid of our bamboo too.
I wish there was an easy way...I want to invite a panda over and have
him go crazy in the yard.

Bamboo is pretty easy to get rid of. Just advertise free bamboo
(Craigslist is good if you live near a major city) and people will show
up with weapons of mass destruction and dig it out for you. If it's a
nice variety, some will even pay you!
EMS
Old 15-04-2005, 09:06 PM

Bamboo is pretty easy to get rid of. Just advertise free bamboo
(Craigslist is good if you live near a major city) and people will

show
up with weapons of mass destruction and dig it out for you. If it's a
nice variety, some will even pay you!

Wait, are you serious?
Its normal bamboo, nothing special.
Why would people pay money to dig it up?

I live in NY.

But the bamboo isnt BIG, its about the thickness of 3 ballpoint pens
together. Height is about 6-7 feet.

We just keep cutting them...but they keep coming back, since we dont
get rid of the roots.

Old 15-04-2005, 11:42 PM
ems

In article .com,
wrote:

Bamboo is pretty easy to get rid of. Just advertise free bamboo
(Craigslist is good if you live near a major city) and people will

show
up with weapons of mass destruction and dig it out for you. If it's a
nice variety, some will even pay you!

Wait, are you serious?
Its normal bamboo, nothing special.
Why would people pay money to dig it up?

I live in NY.

But the bamboo isnt BIG, its about the thickness of 3 ballpoint pens
together. Height is about 6-7 feet.

Go to the nursery and check out how much they charge for a full grown
plant in a ten gallon pot. Admittedly your's does not sound like a
pareticularly special variety, but put the ad on Craigslist and see if
someone wants it. By the Way... Round up doesn't work very well.

EMS
Old 16-04-2005, 06:36 AM

Where are you guys located at and do you have any idea what sort of
bamboo it is? If its the RIGHT kind, you might be able to find

I am in NY. (Queens) as for what kind....how do I tell?
Its just regular bambo, green, round, grows all over the yard.

Years ago when I was digging up the roots, the roots reminded me of the
little aliens from Aliens.

A long root, with all these little roots coming from the side.

stuff, but, if you're not opposed to a slight use of herbicides, you
could cut any new shoots very short with a pruner, and then apply
full-strength 'round-up' on the fresh cut. It's a systemic poison,

so
the bamboo should begin to die off underground.

Yeah, but Im concerned this will kill the grass, and my neighbors
flowers.

Old 16-04-2005, 07:06 AM

pareticularly special variety, but put the ad on Craigslist and see
if

Which section? I never go to Craigslist, I have only heard about it.
They have a gardening section?

someone wants it. By the Way... Round up doesn't work very well.

"Round up doesnt work very well" ?

Im not sure I understand what you mean...?

Old 16-04-2005, 09:34 AM
ems

In article .com,
wrote:

pareticularly special variety, but put the ad on Craigslist and see

if

Which section? I never go to Craigslist, I have only heard about it.
They have a gardening section?

Go to www.craigslist.com, then go to the city nearest you. Then go to
"For Sale", then go to "Free". After that, follow the instructions
under post and it will lead you through it. Very easy.

EMS
Old 17-04-2005, 09:43 PM

Just put the Round-Up on the cut end of the culm. It will not kill
anything else.

Ok, I assume Round-Up is some kind of liquid weed killer?

So I will cut the stalks and then spray the Round-Up on the part still
left in the ground?

What about all the roots that run across the ground?
What do I do about those?
Since they are below the ground, the spray wont get to it, and I am not
cutting them, I am cutting the stalks that grow upward, not laterally.

Thanks

Old 12-07-2005, 05:27 AM
Me

This, in my case, has done NOTHING on my variety.. in fact.. I
literally cut each one with a pair of scissors and painted/dropped
Roundup in the stalk... no dice...

About the next thing I'm going to try is thick black plastic covered
for 2 to 3 years...

Kevin

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:24:32 GMT, "Travis"

Just put the Round-Up on the cut end of the culm. It will not kill
anything else.

Ok, I assume Round-Up is some kind of liquid weed killer?

So I will cut the stalks and then spray the Round-Up on the part
still left in the ground?

What about all the roots that run across the ground?
What do I do about those?
Since they are below the ground, the spray wont get to it, and I am
not cutting them, I am cutting the stalks that grow upward, not
laterally.

Thanks

Paint the Round-Up on the cut culms immediately after you cut them.
Round-Up kills everything that is why you paint it on instead of
spraying it. The Round-Up translocates to the rhizomes (roots) and
kills them. Glyphosate is the generic name for Round-Up.