Old 23-06-2005, 03:58 PM
mr gulash

Default some id questions

Hey,

I've got a couple bamboos that I'm uncertain of the identification. I
figured I'd post some pictures, but what should I be focusing on? If I
do a wide shot of the whole plant, and then a culm/leaf close up, is
that enough? Any thoughts are appreciated,

- gulash

Old 24-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Travis

mr gulash wrote:
Hey,

I've got a couple bamboos that I'm uncertain of the identification.
I figured I'd post some pictures, but what should I be focusing on?
If I do a wide shot of the whole plant, and then a culm/leaf close
up, is that enough? Any thoughts are appreciated,

- gulash

It is my understanding that without flowers some bamboos are very
difficult to identify exactly.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 30-06-2005, 05:57 PM
BambooKeijzer

I recommend to take a close picture shot of a new shoot, or otherwise
of the culm with two internodes and side branches.
Old 30-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Travis

BambooKeijzer wrote:
I recommend to take a close picture shot of a new shoot, or
otherwise of the culm with two internodes and side branches.

Not likely to be very helpful.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 01-07-2005, 07:22 AM
BambooKeijzer

But it may be sufficient, especially the new shoots. Furthermore, you
can feel the culm too. The Phyllostachys aureosulcata species have a
sandpaper feel. You can push your hand down, and it feels rough, but
you hardly can move your hand upwards.
Give it a go.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:52 PM
mr gulash

thanks for the feedback. i happened to be at bamboo headquarters
yesterday and described my unknown bamboo, and they were quite certain
it is a bambusa vulgaris 'vittata'.

http://www.bambooheadquarters.com/photoweb/bavv.htm

apparently the relevant bits to them were a) size of grown plant, b)
basic coloring, c) culm ( grooved or not ), d) growing location, e)
propagation method. since it was propagated via culm cutting this gave
them the "ah ha" they were looking for. i was relieved.

picked up a couple of nice pleioblastus while i was there... =)

Old 14-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Tihomir

Come on Trevis. If identification without flower would be impossible, one
could just wait for decades. There's often at least something we can tell
just looking at young shoots or branches

oups.com...

Old 14-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Travis

Tihomir wrote:
Come on Trevis. If identification without flower would be
impossible, one could just wait for decades. There's often at least
something we can tell just looking at young shoots or branches

"BambooKeijzer" wrote in message
oups.com...
But it may be sufficient, especially the new shoots. Furthermore,
you can feel the culm too. The Phyllostachys aureosulcata species
have a sandpaper feel. You can push your hand down, and it feels
rough, but you hardly can move your hand upwards.
Give it a go.

I'm no taxonomy expert but people on the bamboo mailing lists I
subscribe to have said it many times. Some bamboos can only be
identified for sure by seeing all the physical characteristics including
the flower. That is just the way of bamboo.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 15-07-2005, 03:20 PM
RainLover

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:03:48 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

Tihomir wrote:
Come on Trevis. If identification without flower would be
impossible, one could just wait for decades. There's often at least
something we can tell just looking at young shoots or branches

"BambooKeijzer" wrote in message
oups.com...
But it may be sufficient, especially the new shoots. Furthermore,
you can feel the culm too. The Phyllostachys aureosulcata species
have a sandpaper feel. You can push your hand down, and it feels
rough, but you hardly can move your hand upwards.
Give it a go.

I'm no taxonomy expert but people on the bamboo mailing lists I
subscribe to have said it many times. Some bamboos can only be
identified for sure by seeing all the physical characteristics including
the flower. That is just the way of bamboo.

Am I the ONLY person who cracked up over this 'flower id' thing?

Someone asks: "what sort of bamboo is this"
Answer: "show us a flower from it"
Someone: Okay, here is a flower.
Answer, "It's Yellow Grove, but since you showed me a flower it's now
going to DIE."

Hehhe

James, Seattle
Old 15-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Tihomir

"Travis" wrote in message
Tihomir wrote:
Come on Trevis. If identification without flower would be
impossible, one could just wait for decades. There's often at least
something we can tell just looking at young shoots or branches

"BambooKeijzer" wrote in message
oups.com...
But it may be sufficient, especially the new shoots. Furthermore,
you can feel the culm too. The Phyllostachys aureosulcata species
have a sandpaper feel. You can push your hand down, and it feels
rough, but you hardly can move your hand upwards.
Give it a go.

I'm no taxonomy expert but people on the bamboo mailing lists I subscribe
to have said it many times. Some bamboos can only be identified for sure
by seeing all the physical characteristics including the flower. That is
just the way of bamboo.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

That's my point. Some bamboos can only be identified by seeds and flower.
But many common species can be rather reliably identified by their shoots
and branches. That is just the way of bamboo. ;-)

Never mind...

Tihomir

Old 18-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Tihomir

wrote:

Tihomir wrote:
[...]

Good point

Tihomir,
Croatia, Asia

Old 01-08-2005, 03:39 AM
Throckmorton P. Ruddygore

mr gulash wrote in news:2005070108523216807%hi@therenet:

http://www.bambooheadquarters.com/photoweb/bavv.htm

picked up a couple of nice pleioblastus while i was there... =)

Howdy Mr Gulash
Thanks for the link.

--
Throckmorton P. Ruddygore