Old 07-03-2003, 05:21 AM
Swede

Default when does the black bamboo shoot??

Hello,

Last year (March)I bought numerous bamboo plants from ty ty GA,
including a couple of , what seemed to be fairly old by the size of
the cut off stem, rhizomes of black bamboo.....that summer all the
other species (Alphonse Karr, and fishing pole bamboo) put out new
shoots but the black didn't....I assumed it probably would have
happened before I purchased them.......but here I am 1 year later and
no shoots....the bamboo stem seems to be doing fine...all leaves are
green etc etc..... can I assume that this plant still is doing OK
since the foilage that was present last year is still green and seems
to be doing OK.....when can I expect it to start producing shoots??

Oh, I 'm in Gainesville by the way...(north central florida)

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Beecrofter

Here in the northeast it shoots in the spring following the rains.
Keep yours watered and hope for the best.
Might be a little warm where you are for a temperate species.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:22 PM
jmbamboo

It will be later in the spring before black starts shooting. You should get
some shoots this year, if you don't get anything chances are the rhizomes
were old and you may never get any new growth. However, if they were large
plants and still look good there is a good chance you will indeed get new
shoots. Good luck,
Jim
om...

Old 18-03-2003, 05:32 AM
BosScone

"Swede" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

your black bamboo PhyllostacheousNigra should shoot in your spring as the
waether warms sometimes you get another round of shoots at the end of
summer{these 1s r not as vigorous}if you want an all over black appearance
xpose the plants to full sunlight this gets rid of the green in the
culms{caution over xposure will damage the culms in hot dry weather, keep
well watered

sincerely your

CaneMan

Old 18-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Chris

"BosScone" wrote in message

summer{these 1s r not as vigorous}if you want an all over black appearance
xpose the plants to full sunlight this gets rid of the green in the
culms{caution over xposure will damage the culms in hot dry weather, keep
well watered

In my experience in my area, full sun culms stay green longer, as a
matter of fact if you look at the culm, the part in shade is black,
the part in sun is green. Ultimately it will turn all black, but the
shaded plants turn black faster. My friends P. Nigra turned all black
this year about 1 1/2 months before mine did.

Chris
Chino,CA
(about 30 miles east of Los Angeles)