Old 11-03-2003, 07:21 PM
George Bizas

Default [IBC] Air layering Oak Trees

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to air layer an Oak tree. I think I have read
somewhere that Oak trees respond well to air layering if it is performed
on summer.
Am I going to reduce my success possibility if I do it now?
Can I air layer any branch size ?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you

George

--

George Bizas, Mechanical Engineer, Athens, GREECE
email:

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Shelly Hurd

George,
I'm not sure about the season right now in Greece, but air-layers are best
done after the leaves have hardened off. More like late May here in
California, not the beginning of spring. Each tree specie has it's own
quirks, I'm not sure how your oak will respond. I've heard the Suber (cork
oak) doesn't layer well. I personally have never done an oak. Good luck.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 12-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Philip Edward Lewis

"Shelly Hurd" writes:
Each tree specie has it's own quirks,

or in this case, has it's own quercus
sorry couldn't resist.

--
be safe.
flip

Old 13-03-2003, 08:56 AM
George Bizas

Hi Shelly,

The seasons are the same, just a bit warmer than USA or the UK. Of
course all seasons have a fair bit of sunshine not to mention summer
when sunny days are up to 90% and a cloudy day is considered bad weather
(happens very rarely).

I think I will hold my horses for a while and wait until the end of
spring. During Summer heat is very intense and generally trees are
shutting down for a while so probably air layering at that time may not
respond well.

Thanks

George

"George Bizas" wrote:

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to air layer an Oak tree. I think I have read
somewhere that Oak trees respond well to air layering if it is performed
on summer.
Am I going to reduce my success possibility if I do it now?
Can I air layer any branch size ?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you

George

George Bizas, Mechanical Engineer, Athens, GREECE

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

--

George Bizas, Mechanical Engineer, Athens, GREECE
email:

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Alex_D

What is meant by Air Layering exactly?

Alex.

Old 30-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 3/29/03 5:40:04 PM,
writes:

What is meant by Air Layering exactly?

Try putting "air layering plants" into
www.google.com. You will get a lot of
hits with pictures.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Bamboo Propagation/Air Layering Ben Griffin Bonsai 19 20-01-2011 07:33 PM
[IBC] air layering Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 26-04-2004 12:18 AM
[IBC] Cuttings (was: [IBC] Air Layering Liquidambar Styraciflua) Jim Lewis Bonsai 3 29-06-2003 12:08 AM
[IBC] Air Layering a shimpaku Neal Ross Bonsai 3 15-03-2003 03:20 AM
[IBC] air layering for new nebari Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 25-01-2003 03:13 PM