Old 10-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Michael F. Tigue

Default [IBC] More on a Black Pine

I have a black pine that's been pretty sick since mid summer. In late
August I began to pick up feeding it with diluted feeds every other
watering, foilar feeds occassionally and high potassium feeds in late
November.

After posting some pictures of this sickly black pine on the gallery page,
all responders commented that it must be a root zone problem, that it was
being over fed with organics, the soil was too black, etc. many suggested
root rot. Most suggested that if something wasn't done now it would
surely die. Reacting to those comments I repotted it 10 days ago in a
heavy pure grit medium. What surprised me was that the roots appeared to
be perfectly healthy, pliable, white centers, few came off when washing
the roots and so on? The local bonsai club members agreed, they appeared
to be healthy.

Then, this past weekend I noticed a few new buds swelling and a couple had
started to sprout.

The tree was brought indoors in late December because temperatures in zone
6 dropped into single digits for over two weeks and just recently they've
done it again. The temperatures seemed to be just too extreme to leave it
outdoors for a tree this weak.

My thoughts and concerns are that it's clearly coming out of dormancy in
early February and was probably recovering somewhat from the better care
before it was repotted. The temperatures now are in the lower thirties,
so putting it back outside seems out of the question. I'm wondering if I
just shouldn't continue to allow it to continue on until the temperature
starts to warm up in March, hoping that an early Spring won't be too
stressful.

Could there be other explanations for this? Is the new growth an
indicator the tree is probably recuperating? Did the repot do more harm
than good?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 2/10/2003 9:52:59 AM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

Could there be other explanations for this? Is the new growth an
indicator the tree is probably recuperating? Did the repot
do more harm
than good?

Michael:

We all wrestle such bonsai occurrences.

1. Organics, cakes, WILL NOT, induce root rot. Root rot is almost always caused by excessive moisture resulting from overwatering or extremely poor drainage.

2. You tree may simply be suffering from inadequate feeding and compacted soil.

3. Do not return the repotted tree to the outside on days when the temperatures are below 40-degrees Fahrenheit. On days when the temperatures move up, place the tree on a slate slab in the sun and be certain that it is protected from the dehydrating eff
ects of the wind.

4. If the tree is pushing buds, DO NOT be concerned about the faded needles.

5. If it is possible that this tree was attacked by either fungus or insect, it might make sense to treat it, but I would like to see a new picture.

6. If this tree is not pushing buds, I would be concerned.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --