Old 13-03-2003, 04:20 AM
Colin Horn

Default [IBC] redwood roots

I am pretty new to bonsai, and I have been working on training my redwood
into a formal upright bonsai. I transfered it into a 5 gallon bucket, from a
1 gallon bucket, because I want the trunk to thiken.When I was transplanting
it, I found the main roots coming from the trunk. There are only two, but
they are good sized roots. The problem I had, was one of the main roots
wrapped around, and went directly underneath the other root. I chopped the
root off that made a circle, before it wrapped under the other root, as I
was told by the bonsai teacher at my club. The question I have is, is it OK
to leave dead roots within the rootball? I tried to get all the roots out
that were attached to the root I cut, but it is very hard to get them all.
Also, should I comb all the roots out before I transplant it? I planted the
tree, and the roots were still in a ball. Will this cause problems?Thanks
for any help or advice, it is truly appreciated. - Colin

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Shelly Hurd

Colin,
Leaving the root may do less harm than trying to comb it out or pull it. If
it's truly severed, the part left will die off without really harming the
live root left behind. Next repot will tell the tale, and IMHO no harm will
be done by leaving the cut roots behind.
Good luck.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

STORY SNIP

[IBC] Redwood Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 27-07-2004 03:04 PM
[IBC] Redwood Rodger Kessler Bonsai 1 23-07-2004 12:03 PM
[IBC] redwood Kitsune Miko Bonsai 1 18-01-2004 10:42 PM
[IBC] Curved Dawn Redwood Marty Haber Bonsai 3 04-07-2003 11:20 PM
[IBC] is dawn redwood suitable for a newbie Browning, Karl Bonsai 1 04-06-2003 04:08 PM