Old 12-10-2005, 04:33 PM
AlexanderRex

Default Granite Grit

Greetings all,

Well, I finally did it ... I bought some Granite Grit and Turface.

Now ... this may seem like a silly question, but I expected the Granite Grit
to be small particles of granite. Instead, it looks like silver coarse
sand. I have no experience with granite grit, so I don't really know what I
should have expected, but something just tells me this isn't coarse enough
to provide good drainage.

Does this sound like proper granite grit, or does my nursery have a
different definition of what granite grit should look like?

Thanks in advance,

Alexander Fraser

Old 12-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Kev Bailey

You can buy granite grit in different grades but the one that you have
sounds like it is too fine for trees. It does depend on what you are growing
and where you are. The stuff I look for is an average of about 1/4" and, as
it is graded, contains very little in the way of fine particles. In the UK
this is often sold as Alpine grit (for potting rock garden plants).

The fine stuff that you have would be best kept for mixing with peat for
seed sowing and cutting striking IMHO.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
North Wales, UK, Zone 9

MSN Messenger 7.5 is now out. Download it for FREE here.
http://messenger.msn.co.uk

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-10-2005, 05:11 PM
John Romano

There are different sized grit sold. What I buy here in New England is
called 'Growers Grit' and is larger than the other sizes - good for
bonsai soil use. (It is a supplement fed to chickens and turkeys to
aid in digestion).
John Romano
Rhode Island USA

*******
++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
*******
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 12-10-2005, 06:31 PM
AlexanderRex

Thanks for your responses John and Kev ...

I've been in touch with a feed store and they have chick grit and hen grit
.... sounds like what I need is the hen grit.

Thanks again,

Alexander Fraser

Old 12-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Jim Lewis

John Romano wrote:

There are different sized grit sold. What I buy here in New England is
called 'Growers Grit' and is larger than the other sizes - good for
bonsai soil use. (It is a supplement fed to chickens and turkeys to aid
in digestion).
John Romano
Rhode Island USA

Sold here as "Turkey grit" in farm and feed stores (NOT
nurseries) . . . but be careful that it is granite and not
crushed limestone or crush oyster shells, which is what the
turkeys fill their gizzards with down here in the south.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 12-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Jim Lewis

AlexanderRex wrote:
Thanks for your responses John and Kev ...

I've been in touch with a feed store and they have chick grit and hen grit
... sounds like what I need is the hen grit.

When you get there see if thay have one for turkeys. Down
here, chicken/hen grit is also a bit small. Tho it'll do in
a pinch.

Old 13-10-2005, 04:23 AM
Roger Snipes

The larger size grit that I get from a feed store here in Spokane is called
Turkey grit as well.

I just went out and looked at one of the bags, it says No. 3 Granite Grit.
It comes from Canada (Creston, BC).

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish

Old 14-10-2005, 01:25 AM
AlexanderRex

Default [IBC] Granite Grit

Thanks all ...

I went to the feed store and found Turkey grit. It is, in fact, made of
granite ... thanks for the warning ... I might have been duped into buying
something totally useless.

Thanks again, all.

Alexander Fraser
Zone 4A

Old 14-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Steve Peterson

Hi All,

Why is it important to include granite grit in a potting medium. If I
use turface, is there still a need for it?

Thanks,
Steve
Philadelphia, Pa

Old 22-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered User

You can buy granite dust in altered grades but the one that you have sounds like it is too accomplished for trees. It does depend on what you are growing and area you are. The being I attending for is an boilerplate of about 1/4" and, as it is graded, contains actual little in the way of accomplished particles.
Grow tents

[IBC] Granite Grit Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 14-10-2005 11:43 AM
[IBC] Granite Grit Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 14-10-2005 11:36 AM
[IBC] Granite Grit Bill Neff Bonsai 2 13-10-2005 01:23 PM
Decomposed granite J Kolenovsky Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
decomposed vs crushed granite Tom Jones Texas 1 21-02-2003 07:58 PM