Old 19-10-2005, 02:11 AM
Helena Handbasket

Default Care of display stands

What kind of care is taken with the beautiful display stands used with
bonsai trees and accent plants? They are an art form in their own right and
I cringe to see pots with rough edges and trees that could possibly leave
water damage. I'd love to put my trees on a lovely stand but don't because
of the above concerns.

--
Katie Rogers
zone 6b

Old 19-10-2005, 02:55 AM
Roger Snipes

Default [IBC] Care of display stands

Rough feet on heavy pots can scratch the wood, and there isn't much one can
do about that except to use care when placing pots on stands.

I always give my stands a couple of good coats of paste wax prior to an
exhibit. That shines them up nicely and protects against water damage if
there is a drip or two. Of course one should only be using the stands for
exhibit purposes, not for every day display.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish

What kind of care is taken with the beautiful display stands used with
bonsai trees and accent plants? They are an art form in their own right
and
I cringe to see pots with rough edges and trees that could possibly leave
water damage. I'd love to put my trees on a lovely stand but don't
because
of the above concerns.

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-10-2005, 05:22 AM
Alan Walker

Great care should be exercised to avoid scratching and
marring fine wooden bonsai display stands. You would think people
would intuitively understand that, but even in exhibit
circumstances, some people will "help" by sliding a pot on a
stand to a different position, especially if the stand belongs to
someone else. Since these stands can cost hundreds of dollars
apiece, that sort of vandalism is not tolerable!
The same goes for those who would water exhibit trees
without removing the pots from the stands. That's a big no-no.
They should not be replaced on the stand until the pot has
drained enough so that it won't drip on the stand.
One thing which can help is to prepare the feet of bonsai
pots for exhibit by putting a little silicone on them or
attaching felt pads with adhesive.
But mostly training exhibit staff to respect everyone's
property is the best protection.

Alan Walker

Old 19-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Alan Walker wrote:

One thing which can help is to prepare the feet of bonsai
pots for exhibit by putting a little silicone on them or
attaching felt pads with adhesive.

Often, the rough spots on the feet of pots are caused by
"drips" of glaze. These can be filed or sandpapered away.

You also can glue thin patches of fabric to the bottom of
the legs. Done carefully, these are invisible; they often
need to be reapplied.

Scratches on stands do happen, though. Good ol' Minwax
makes felt-tip stain pens in various colors ans well as
stain pencils that do an excellent job of covering up a
stain. If those aren't available, shoe polish in the
appropriate color is a long-held woodworker's secret for
scratch repair.

As Alan said, NEVER water a tree on a stand. Water spots
almost always require refinishing.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 22-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered User

The aforementioned goes for those who would baptize display trees without removing the pots from the stands. That's a big no-no. They should not be replaced on the angle until the pot has drained abundant so that it will not dribble on the stand. One affair which can advice is to adapt the anxiety of bonsai pots for display by putting a little silicone on them or attaching acquainted pads with adhesive.
__________________
Grow tents
Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Registered User

Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gremel View Post
On Oct 18, 2005, at 6:55 PM, Roger Snipes wrote:

What kind of care is taken with the beautiful display stands used with
bonsai trees and accent plants? They are an art form in their own
right and
I cringe to see pots with rough edges and trees that could possibly
leave
water damage. I'd love to put my trees on a lovely stand but don't
because
of the above concerns.

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
I have no experience to grow these tree on my own but have heard that they give a quite great look to the place where ever they are planted. So If someone have the picture regarding these trees , They are requested to post them here.