Old 18-11-2005, 01:20 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Nullcode

Default Advice: Bonsai Care

Hi, I just wanted to run this by you and get any advice.

Last week I bought a Bonsai, a Serissa Foetida. Ive read that they are
very fussy about light and temp. At the moment, I move the tree into my
west facing window during the day for light, and move it onto my shelf
(in the same room) during the night, as the temperature outside is
dropping to about -5c now (UK).
I mist the tree in the morning and evening, about 5 pumps worth :P, also
the windows often produce condensation so the atmosphere doesnt appear
to be dry. I water the tree twice a week with about 1/2 a glass of water.

The tree is apx 7" from dirt to tip in a ceramic pot 2" deep, 8" long
and 5" wide.

The leaves are currently a nice green, although some have light black
marks appearing. About 2-5 leaves yellow and fall a day.

Any advice or tips you have would be greatfully recieved.

Also, does anyone have a good resource on how to wire them?

thx
--
Nullcode
"Suffering is a result of desire"
Old 18-11-2005, 07:16 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Tiziano

Nullcode wrote:
Hi, I just wanted to run this by you and get any advice.

Last week I bought a Bonsai, a Serissa Foetida. Ive read that they are
very fussy about light and temp. At the moment, I move the tree into my
west facing window during the day for light, and move it onto my shelf
(in the same room) during the night, as the temperature outside is
dropping to about -5c now (UK).

That serissa are fussy is an urban legend bbut
true if kept inside home! in reality are very hardy

I made en exp that is still going on since 3
years , I have 7 cuttings
all rooted from sept onward
always stayed all year long winther and summer
outside zone 7 and all cuttings are vigorous and
flowering .. survived to two -5° C
kept inside developes a lot of small deseases ..
keep teh soil moist all the time not soggy and
mildly acidic

Any advice or tips you have would be greatfully recieved.

Also, does anyone have a good resource on how to wire them?

when very young greenish shots otherwise the
wood chip

Old 18-11-2005, 07:21 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Nullcode

Tiziano wrote:
Nullcode wrote:

[...]

thanks alot.
Also, some of the leaves seem to be going wrinkly, some dirty coloured,
is that a sign of over/under watering?

Old 18-11-2005, 10:35 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Tiziano

Nullcode wrote:

when very young greenish shots otherwise the wood chip

thanks alot.
Also, some of the leaves seem to be going wrinkly, some dirty coloured,
is that a sign of over/under watering?

some leaves are getting yellow actually
but it is normal it is seasonal

my cuttings were green cuttings and keptthe
same leaves on for two years ,they started loosing
some last spring and now that we are entering in
the third year of the experiment
about watering it is hard for me to explain I
am so used to my bonsai that I can judge at first
sight if water is needed or not ( but I check
with my fingers also before giving ..:-)
normally my rule on leaves bonsai is 80 90 %
dry before watering , I always dig 1-2 inch under
the surface to be sure that is really needed(
with pines especially )
over watering normally makes roots rot and twig
buds blacken now is a bad season and it takes
more time to soil to dry so I guess in UK is
like here every week is a safe

It is hard to say without see the soil
consistency

Old 01-01-2008, 03:55 PM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiziano View Post
Nullcode wrote:

[...]

It is a hardy plant and is easy to care for. It needs regular watering and trimming. Fertilization is required, especially in the flowering period. With the right conditions it can flower continuously, though there are more flowers from spring to autumn.