Old 12-01-2006, 06:07 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Beano

Default How much light is enough?

Just wondering, is 1 hour of afternoon sun through a window enough for
a lilly pilly bonsai to survive? What about a melaleuca?

Excuse my ignorance about plants, but believe it or not, my nursery did
not stock fig trees which is what I wanted to bonsai - needless to say,
my new trees do look nice, but I don't want them to die. I live in a
granny flat and don't really have a balcony to put them on, and am
reluctant to put them outside as the ants will get on them.

Thanks for any help.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:24 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Beano

Well no replies, but for info of others who might be asking this Q, the
leaves turned brown and and dried up - until I put it outside... Now
it's coming back with nice new green leaves.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:29 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
just me

Beano mentioned in passing :

Well no replies, but for info of others who might be asking this Q,
the leaves turned brown and and dried up - until I put it outside...
Now it's coming back with nice new green leaves.

I'm gload to hear your tree is sounding happier. It appears most, if not
all, of the experienced folks posting to this ng were actually posting to
some sort of web ring [maybe?] and it's connection with the ng died in Nov.
or Dec., and the experienced folks have disappeared. Maybe if enough of us
hang out around here we can lure some of that ilk in with our on topic
discussions? I hope so, anyway, as I would appreciate input from more
experienced folks.....

-Aula, in Vermont

--
Watch out for the fellow who talks about putting thing in order!
Putting things in order always means getting other people under your

Old 02-02-2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Jim Lewis

Beano wrote:
Well no replies, but for info of others who might be asking this Q, the
leaves turned brown and and dried up - until I put it outside... Now
it's coming back with nice new green leaves.

Just FYI . . . You got a few replies, but you just
couldn't see them.

The newsgroup rec.arts.bonsai has been linked to
the IBC mailing list for nearly 15 years now.

That means (or meant) that messages posted to
r.a.b. also went to the mailing list, and messages
posted to the mailing list went to r.a.b.

Well, that link is broken for some reason. R.a.b.
messages still go to the mailing list, but any
those just don't get back to you. Likewise,
anything that starts on the mailing list doesn't
seem to mame it over here -- or at least not very
often.

The manager of the mailing list has been trying to
resolve the issue, but the folks who supply the
link between the two don't seem to be very responsive.

Hopefully . . .

The answer to your question (again) is "as much as
possible." An indoor tree needs at least 13 hours
of light from a fluorescent lamp a few inches from
the tree. Fifteen or 16 hours would be even better.

Sorry about the lack of a response.

Jim Lewis - Columbus, NC - -
This economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the
environment. - Gaylord Nelson
Old 27-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Registered User

Location: Tinana Queensland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano
Just wondering, is 1 hour of afternoon sun through a window enough for
a lilly pilly bonsai to survive? What about a melaleuca?

Excuse my ignorance about plants, but believe it or not, my nursery did
not stock fig trees which is what I wanted to bonsai - needless to say,
my new trees do look nice, but I don't want them to die. I live in a
granny flat and don't really have a balcony to put them on, and am
reluctant to put them outside as the ants will get on them.

Thanks for any help.
Beano,
Are you here in Queensland? If so, post reply and we will try and give you some information on your trees.
TinanaTaffy