Old 28-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Len Arzoomanian , BonsaiRI

Default [IBC] Mailing trees question

From: Helena Handbasket
Subject: [IBC] Mailing trees question

I plan on mailing some trees and cuttings to a friend. I'd like to hear of how you guys
mail trees or have received them. What is the best time to mail them?

I recently received two Azalias in the mail. Both were Shohin size and potted. The sender bubble wrapped the pot and around the trunk with packing tape (Don't tape to the trunk). Then they taped the wrapped pot down to the bottom of the box. There was p
lenty of room all around the tree and pot in the box. Now you can turn the box upside down and the tree and soil stays put. The then filled the air space with packing peanuts. It worked well on both trees. I can see the possibility of damage if you put
too many packing peanuts in and try to press the top of the box closed so be careful there. I am really not sure what the packing peanuts are there. It should be a sturdy box that does not crush easily. I think if you left a good 8 inchs of air all aro
und the top of the tree and the sides of the pot you should be all set. Ship the fastest method possible.

Len

PLEASE NOTE MY NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS:

http://www.bonsairi.com
http://www.rhodeislandbonsaisociety.org

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Carl L Rosner

Hy Helena:
I think some one asked several months ago, and I gave a detail account
on shipping trees, try the archives. I just wanted to add that if you
do use styrofoam peanuts (better known as Ghost Poo). You should rock
the container back and forth to allow the peanuts to settle inbetween
branches. Then add more peanuts. Just make sure that you do not leave
any space at the top, fill to the top with just a little mound over the
edges. When you close the flaps that will tighten everything in place.
Ship on a Monday. That way the trees will not be lying in a warehouse
over a weekend.

Best of luck,

Carl L. Rosner

Helena Handbasket wrote:

I plan on mailing some trees and cuttings to a friend. I'd like to hear of how you guys
mail trees or have received them. What is the best time to mail them?

Thanks in advance.

--

Helena's Sim Estates
http://www.simbella.com/helena/