Old 12-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Know thy trees (was: [IBC] Camellia Bonsai)

Pen pal Nina wrote:

If I were to
characterize the American character, I'd say we expected to

have
everything *obey* us. The biggest lesson about plants I ever

learned
was that they really have different care needs, and one size

doesn't
fit all. Nowadays when I buy a new tree species, I just watch

it for
a year, before I think of doing anything. I want to know how

it
branches, how it buds out, what its roots do, how it handles

drought,
etc.

Colin made note of the same thing in one of his messages; that
you need to know how trees BEHAVE before you can expect to shape
them even into a semi-artistic creation and expect them to
survive.

So, everyone who wants to DO bonsai take note of the above.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++