Old 12-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Registered User

Location: Manchester
Default Japanese white pine problems - can anyone help

Hi,

I have been keeping bonsai for several years, so I thought that I was experienced enough for a Japanese White Pine. However, things have not gone well. To cut a long story short, the needles have started to go brown and they are dropping. There are still some green clusters on the tree, but I’m experienced enough to now that it may already be too late to save my tree.

I don’t believe that I’ve been over watering, and after having the tree for about 8 weeks, I have only very recently give it a half dose of liquid feed. I did put it out in windy weather and I stupidly sprayed the needles with water while it was over 70 degrees F. There are buds forming, even on the clusters that are completely brown, so I don’t think all is completely lost. But of course, these buds may have died too.

Could anyone tell me what may be the problem?. I haven’t tried anything drastic, like putting it in a bowl of water, as experience has shown me that these things hardly ever work.

Perhaps I’ve been under watering? I was told to just leave the watering to the rain. Could anyone tell me how often I should be watering? It is planted in Akadma and Kyodama. This has made things more complicated for me, as this mixture always seems to feel dry.

I live in Manchester in the UK.

Best wishes
Stephen
Old 12-05-2006, 12:10 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Theo

trident wrote:

Hi,

I have been keeping bonsai for several years, so I thought that I was
experienced enough for a Japanese White Pine.

pines are complicate

However, things have not
gone well. To cut a long story short, the needles have started to go
brown and they are dropping. There are still some green clusters on the
tree, but I?m experienced enough to now that it may already be too late
to save my tree.

same problem with me second time in 5 years same tree
.... root decay ... give

Aliette as explained probably is contaminated by a viris
cinnamonii

I don?t believe that I?ve been over watering, and after having the tree
for about 8 weeks, I have only very recently give it a half dose of
liquid feed.

do not give fertilizer anymore
so you have it recently not since longtime
white pines are very special and if you repotted it you
should have not have given fertilizer yet probably you badly
repotted the rott system grows very slowly and needs to be
repotted every 4-5 years

I did put it out in windy weather and I stupidly sprayed
the needles with water while it was over 70 degrees F. There are buds
forming, even on the clusters that are completely brown, so I don?t
think all is completely lost. But of course, these buds may have died
too.

if it is frost is a different problem !

Could anyone tell me what may be the problem?. I haven?t tried anything
drastic, like putting it in a bowl of water, as experience has shown me
that these things hardly ever work.

if they are burned(needles) are burned, leave it grow its
new buds and needles

Perhaps I?ve been under watering? I was told to just leave the watering
to the rain. Could anyone tell me how often I should be watering?

when the soil is 95% dry

It is
planted in Akadma and Kyodama. This has made things more complicated
for me, as this mixture always seems to feel dry.

Kyodama ? never heard

I live in Manchester in the UK.

rainy weather ,so when the soil is dry also inside,
give plenty
of water until leaks out of the draining holes and never
giove water until dry again
plenty of sun all the time
can you send a pic ? send to me
not over 500 k size

Th@o
the BEST OF BONSAI
http://www.easybonsai.it
Il Sito & forum Bonsai piu letto

Old 14-05-2006, 03:39 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Dutch

Go to Bonsaihelp and post they will reply quickly.A great Bonsai
website/forum.

Old 15-05-2006, 12:42 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Theo

Dutch wrote:

Go to Bonsaihelp and post they will reply quickly.A great Bonsai
website/forum.

do you know them? can you blindly trust them ?

anyone in the net can be a Bonsai Master ...

Old 28-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident
[...]

Hi Stephen

repotting pines can be a cause of problems if it is done too quickly and also pruning too hard is also a problem at times.

In a brief reply (feel free to drop me an e-mail at if you want to discuss more) youmust leave 3 to 4 needle clusters on each branch when pruning or this can cause branch death. When repotting a tree that you either don't know its history or has not been done for a few years it is best bone in thirds. Clean one third of the root ball out per year so that in three years it is fully repotted, the fourth year sees a good root ball and a final repot.

As others have mentioned do not feed it until it shows signs of recovery. I use Kiryu on Pines rather than the mix you mention but it is as good as. Naturally white pines grow high up so are used to drier roots and black pines grow low down so will take a bit more moisture.

I would be tempted to move it to a larger pot without repotting and leave for at least a year to resettle. Once it starts to look healthy and grow new buds then you can start to move it towards the original pot again.

I found out the hard way with Pines too!

Regards, Simon
http://www.yorkbonsai.co.uk