Old 24-05-2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Paul

Default Please help! ...trying to revive an abandoned bonsai

I need some help on how to revive a dying bonsai. It is a ficus
macrophylla about 40 cm tall. It doesn't look good. It has no leaves but
the scratch test reveals that the trunk and most major branches are
still green.

A friend of mine left it in a garage where it got only a little light
and almost no water for over a month. This is when all the leaves went
brown but stayed attached. The last 3 weeks I have been watering it
correctly (watering till the water soaks and runs through only when the
soil is dry) and have moved it outside to a sunny position (seeing as I
read OUTSIDE is best and it likes the sun).

I read that this variety doesn't like temperatures below 15C, and am
worried because winter is starting here in Sydney and the temperature at
night is 13C and only gonna get colder.

I have been searching forums on the net for over a week now and haven't
really found definite answers to the following questions...

They a

Should I leave it outside or inside near a window?

Should I trim off the dead branches now or wait? (and if I wait then
wait for... new growth? spring?)

Should I remove the wiring on the branches?

Or should I just take it to a professional seeing as it used to be a
very nice looking plant!?

Any help from someone more experienced than myself would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee and Paul
Old 31-05-2006, 04:02 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
bobc

Paul, I am no expert but I believe Ficus defoliate as a response to
dryness. I mean, at least some species, go through a dry season, drop
their leaves, and go dormant.
If it begins to grow again (a month is rather long), gradually
re-introduce it to bright light, and keep it inside for the winter.
I'm not sure, but I think most Ficus are tropical or semi-tropical
plants.
As far as reviving it, it sounds like you're doing what I would do.
Just move it inside before you start getting frost. If you decide to
remove the wire (if it's not too tight, why bother?) cut it do not
unwind. I wouldn't do it now unless it was really necessary.
As for cutting dead branches - if you are sure they're dead, then go
ahead. Otherwise wait for new growth.
And finally, relax. Just like it takes time for plants to show stress,
it takes time for them to recover from it.
I think raising the relative humidity around the tree would help too.
I wouldn't feed it until you see new growth.
Hope this helps!
Bob Campoli

Old 07-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Registered User

Location: Tinana Queensland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
[...]

Hi Paul, Perhaps you already know, Ficus Macrophylla is the Moreton Bay Fig. As such, yes, they do like the sun, but knowing the Sydney winters ( I moved from Sydney, after living there for ten years, to Qld three years ago) it may be advisable to give it some protection from frost etc. I used to keep my 'frost sensitive' trees under a perspex sheet (top of one of my Bonsai tables). The Moreton Bay is a very tough tree - nearly bullet proof, but considering the treatment this one got I'm not surprised it has lost its leaves and suffered some die-back. Might be prudent to check whether the soil has become water repellent through being dried out so much. If you can, dunk it in water and leave it in there for an hour or two to thoroughly soak the soil. Watering from the top only doesn't mean that the soil is getting properly moistened. Also, mix some Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate) with the water - it is a good 'reviver' of sick plants, and is also useful after root-pruning and re-potting.
If you are not able to protect it outside, then sure take it inside - but put it in a sunny but draught free position. Don't prune off any dead stuff yet - wait till spring and see where the new leaves shoot from. If the branches have wire on them, yes, take it all off. If you really think you need some professional advice then try contacting one of the Sydney based Bonsai clubs, or if you PM me (with your suburb), I can give you a few addresses of some very experienced Bonsai people that would be only too pleased to give you some assistance.
Hope your tree recovers - Figs are great to work with. As an aside, While I lived in Darwin a magnificent Ficus Macrophylla won Champion Bonsai in 1991 - the leaves had reduced to about 15mm in length!