Old 14-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Wiring, Transplanting timeline question

Ok, I've got everything that was due for a new pot transplanted
and in the shade. Do you
leave them there until you see new growth? AND, when is it ok

to start wiring? Is it ok
to wire in April while the tree is so active? I have a

hawthorn that needs some trunk
work and a maple that needs wire on the fine growth.

You don't want them in full shade. Morning sun is great.
Keeping them there 'till new growth is seen is OK, but if they're
currently leafless you probably don't need to be that careful.

As for wiring, different folks do it different ways. I try not
to wire in the spring to early summer. The trees and branches
are growing fast at that time of year and you usually have to
remove it before the wiring has done any good. Usually, I wire
in late summer, fall and (mostly) winter.

That said, I do SOME wiring in the spring, but I wrap the wire
very loosely around the branches, so it is scarcely touching it.
Obviously, you don't bend much when you do that, but it's fine
for new sprouts.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who would
rather NEVER wire.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Tomato Ripening Timeline richmarshall Edible Gardening 1 14-06-2009 05:58 AM
[IBC] wiring question Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 25-03-2004 03:13 PM
[IBC] wiring question Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 24-03-2004 04:12 AM
Timeline: Labour and hunting John United Kingdom 0 06-10-2003 11:21 PM
Wiring, Transplanting timeline question Helena Handbasket Bonsai 0 14-04-2003 05:32 PM