Old 29-12-2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Default Jiu San Bonsai: Sad News...

I've been out of the hobby for a number of years but it is still in my
heart and soul. One day I will return but for now, and I know this is
probably old news to some, I am sorry to report that Long Island, NY
icon, Jiu San Bonsai Nursery, founded by teacher and author Phil Tacktil
is closing its doors. This is sad news for me since it was just a short
ride by car. It was a wonderful place to visit. I could have stayed
for hours on end just browsing. I've purchased many a wonderful tree
there. My fear is that when I do get back into the hobby, where shall I
turn to for supplies, plants, pots, tools, etc...? The internet is my
only source I guess.

There was another great store on Long Island called, Bonsai East run by
a woman by the name of Rose. Those were the days!

If anyone has any memories of either I'd love to hear them. Also, is
there any suppliers to speak of on Long Island or in the NY metropolitan
area?

Thanks,

Stay Well,

Lou, NY
Old 09-04-2007, 06:35 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Default Jiu San Bonsai: Sad News... UPDATE!!!

Louis F. Carbone wrote:
[...]

UPDATE!!!

Well it seems I have good and bad news about this fine establishment.
First on a sad note, Anne Rosenthal, sister of sensei, author and
lecturer Phil Tacktill has passed away. Anne was always ready with a
smile and warm greeting as you stepped inside the shop. She will be missed.

On a happier note, and one in which I am sure Anne would have been quite
thrilled about is that Jiu San Bonsai has been reborn!!! The newly
named Golden Bonsai Nursery has taken up where Jiu San has left off. I
am very happy to hear the news and look forward to renewing my passion
for bonsai.

Lou, NY