Old 21-03-2007, 01:03 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Default I was given a baobab bonsai....

Hi all..

I was given a baobab planted on a bonsai pot .. It doesn't seem like
it's been treated as a bonsai and only looks like it came out of its
seeds about two months ago.

I'm not experienced at all with bonsais, but thought that a baobab
bonsai would be a fantastic idea. Would someone give me any ideas as
to what to do? This tree is currently just growing wild on a bonsai
pot filled with potting mix. I would like to change this to a
different sort of mulch for easier access to the roots.. What
recommendations would you give?

Thanks to all.

Old 21-03-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

On Mar 21, 12:03 pm, "Ivan" wrote:
Hi all..

I was given a baobab planted on a bonsai pot .. It doesn't seem like
it's been treated as a bonsai and only looks like it came out of its
seeds about two months ago.

I'm not experienced at all with bonsais, but thought that a baobab
bonsai would be a fantastic idea. Would someone give me any ideas as
to what to do? This tree is currently just growing wild on a bonsai
pot filled with potting mix. I would like to change this to a
different sort of mulch for easier access to the roots.. What
recommendations would you give?

Thanks to all.

Hi!!
Thank you all so much for your useful information..
I am so sad to see that I won't get to see my baobab grow.. Good thing
that I am still young, and in 40 years perhaps it'll get to a decent
stage.
I got more information about the baobab.. It is a seedling, which was
planted about three months ago. It's currently sitting out in the sun,
and is about 6 inches high. It was planted and its first leaf came up
about 4 days afterward.. It is amazing how fast it grows. Its roots
are so thick!
I will take some pictures of it and post their link to this group.

I have been watering it a bit too much (once a week).. Although it is
summer is practically over here in Australia and in Melbourne we've
been having some really hot and dry days. . Perhaps these are the days
that this tree does best in.

The tree being so small, is it recommended that I should wire it now,
or wait until a later stage?

Should I get it out of the bonsay tray and plant it on a normal
growing pot?

Thanks very much once again.