Old 16-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Help with Fukien Tea

Hi

My tree does not seem well. Basically, the tips of a few of the upper most leaves started to go brown. This, from what I read, indicated lack of water. I upped the water and the leaves, all of them, went rubbery, then twisted and fell off.

The tree is kept in the kitchen, where at this time of year, there can be quite a difference in temp.

What am I doing wrong??

Many thanks

Lee
Old 17-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Registered User

hey lee

i am by no means an expert, but i have managed to keep my fukien tea relatively happy. have you root pruned recently? upper foliage going brown or looking generally unhealthy can mean that there is an imbalance between the root structure and the foliage. bonsai is all about the balance, so if it starts to look unhealthy at the top (especially the top) it tends to suggest the roots arent extensive enough to support the foliage. the leaves browning and dropping off is a natural process of survival - if it is the case of an imbalance - like i say, im not an expert!

it would be useful to know how long you have had it, how you water, what the light is like and any other info you think might help. for now, be careful with the watering - overwatering could make the leaves thick and rubbery like you described.
Old 17-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered User

oh, just to add, fukien tea are one of the most fussy bonsai's around. look at them the wrong way and they off themselves! the variance in temperature probably isnt good for it, maintaining stable temps with a fukien tea usually keeps them happy, as does high humidity - mist twice daily, or even better, put on a gravel tray so the water evaporates around the tree through the day. but be careful not to let the pot sit in water or the roots will rot!

you probably already know all this lol just ignore me if so
Old 19-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny22 View Post
[...]

Cheers for the reply. I've just re potted it (first time since shop bought) to see if this is the problem. The centre roots were full of clay. I'm just hoping it's a balance thing as you say. Perhaps to do with the clay and the coldness at the moment. Up until now (about 7 months since buying it) it's been doing great.
Old 19-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny22 View Post
oh, just to add, fukien tea are one of the most fussy bonsai's around. look at them the wrong way and they off themselves! the variance in temperature probably isnt good for it, maintaining stable temps with a fukien tea usually keeps them happy, as does high humidity - mist twice daily, or even better, put on a gravel tray so the water evaporates around the tree through the day. but be careful not to let the pot sit in water or the roots will rot!

you probably already know all this lol just ignore me if so

I do! But only after I bought it. It was just looking sorry for itself so bought it. Was covered in mealy bugs (think that's what they were called), but sorted that out.

Old 21-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Registered User

lol. really common advice is to buy only healthy plants, not the poor condition, discounted plants. however, i tend to go for the sick and poorly ones, sad as it is i like to make em feel better. i have a ficus and fukien, which were fine when bought, and a chinese elm, but the ligustrum i bought was appalling and is now getting along really well. less money to buy, and much more sense of accomplishment when they get better

the clay thing has always confused me. when i repotted two of mine the roots were filled with clay. what supplier in their right mind would put a bonsai in soil that would be almost impossible to drain? its like theyre asking for root rot....
Old 31-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Registered User

Hello,
Need help for Fukien Tea, I would like to give some suggestions regarding it which I have used for my Fukien Tea..
Care
• When growing indoors, you need to place the Fukien Tea in a location where the temperature maintains around 60 degrees.
• The branches will need to be pruned throughout the year
• New shoots that take away from the shape you are trying
achieve for the Bonsai will need to be pinched
• When trimming new shoots, keep it back to about three leaves on a regular basis during the normal growing season and then about every two to three months during the colder months
• From spring to fall, the Fukien Tea will need to be fed fortnightly and in the winter, make sure the food is low in nitrogen
Concern
• The Fukien Tea is not fond of shady locations. Therefore, it needs to always have as much sun as possible without getting too hot, which could cause the leaves to burn
• This plant does not tolerate cold draughts or frost well
Thanks...!

[IBC] SV: [IBC] Fukien Tea tree Per Arne Pedersen Bonsai 2 17-03-2008 02:30 PM
Fukien Tea - Aphid Problem StreetMagic.org Bonsai 0 13-04-2003 11:44 PM
Fukien Tea Phil Bonsai 0 25-02-2003 06:28 AM
[IBC] SV: [IBC] Fukien Tea tree Per Arne Pedersen Bonsai 2 03-02-2003 04:48 PM
[IBC] Fukien Tea tree Per Arne Pedersen Bonsai 2 03-02-2003 02:34 PM