Old 28-04-2008, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.arts.bonsai

Default Bonsai indoors

Hello all.

I am new to these groups and to gardening in general. I live in a
small apartment and have no outside area but I really want to improve
my skills with growing and I want to have more living things around my
place. Bonsai has always fascinated me and I think i am ready to
give it a try. I have started with one of those cheap kits growing
from seeds. I am planning to put this one next to the grow light that
is hooked up to my girlfriends Aerogarden. I know this isn't ideal
but I am not too interested in this particular plant (it's more of a
tester and if it works then I will keep it). I have no outside area,
I have no good window to put the plants on and I don't have a lot of
space.

I would, however like to give it a real try with some other plants.
What I was thinking was to have a few small wall hung shelves to hold
the plants on with small grow lights on each. Maybe the small LED
ones, if they work well. I was also thinking I may need a
humidification system. I live in the L.A. area in Southern
California. I would really like to grow various species from seeds.
I like the small size trees (less than 10") and maybe eventually try
some forest styles with mini-bonsai.

I know that things don't like to grow indoors but it seems there must
be a way. Please if you could give any advice on how to make this
work, I would really appreciate it. I have never been much good at
growing plants and want to learn. I know that bonsai is a bit
ambitious but it is what I am most interested in.

Thank you for the help,
Bill

P.S. sorry for posting to multiple groups but i wanted it to get to
anyone that could help.
Old 29-04-2008, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.arts.bonsai

On Apr 28, 3:32 pm, Bill wrote:
[...]

CFLs do a great job.

I was also thinking I may need a
humidification system.

Tray of wet pebbles.
Old 29-04-2008, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.arts.bonsai

On Apr 28, 3:24 pm, Father Haskell wrote:

[...]

Would that be enough to keep them alive indefinitely?
Old 29-04-2008, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.arts.bonsai

On 4/28/2008 12:32 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

In general, the climate indoors is not good for bonsai.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 29-04-2008, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.arts.bonsai

In article
,

On Apr 28, 3:32 pm, Bill wrote:

[...]

Perhaps of interest .

http://www.amazon.com/Thriving-Bonsa.../ref=sr_1_1?ie
=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1209476422&sr=1-1

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/3po49f

We have a thirty year old fine leaf Japanese maple which is 9 inches
high and 20 inches wide. Spreading not upright. We stated it out in a
pot abut soon were not happy with how it looked so we planted in our
front yard in a sheltered spot where it resides today. This after root
pruning etc.

We love it!

I'll ask santa for a copy of the DVD this year.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 29-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Registered User

I always wanted to have a bonsai but I'm afraid I'm not able to either keep it alive or let it grow in a desired way.
__________________
My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view. ~ H. Fred Ale
Old 29-04-2008, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.arts.bonsai

Thanks,
I'm looking at grow lights and stuff now. I think I will take it a
bit slow at first but hopefully I can keep a plant alive.

Old 15-05-2008, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.arts.bonsai

Pretty cool blog on Bosai I found http://travis314.blogspot.com/
Old 22-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Registered User

have you considered using fake plants for hassle free indoor plants? http://www.bigplantshop.com

Old 31-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Registered User

Hello,
Like to plant bonsai indoors i would like to give some suggestions which i have used for my indoor bonsai...
For the outdoor Bonsai, many growers bring their trees indoors where they are put on display for special occasions but then afterward, they need to go back outside. A good rule to follow is that three days a month indoors is all your Bonsai, regardless of species, will handle.
For the outdoor Bonsai, they simply cannot and should not be grown inside. Bringing them in during the flowering season or to celebrate a party, is fine but if they are kept indoors too long, they will actually become stressed. If you do bring the Bonsai inside, remember that you will need to take extra care when it comes to watering, sunlight, humidity, and so on.
Providing the Bonsai with a daily misting will help, as will positioning the tree so it is not somewhere too warm. For example, if you bring your Bonsai inside during the wintertime, make sure it is not placed too close to a heater. Keep in mind that if the Bonsai need to be kept warm, you can purchase a special heater that will not dry the tree out but you would also need to use a humidifier.
Additionally, once you put the Bonsai in its position, try to leave it alone as much as possible. The more you start to touch and mess with the Bonsai, the more stressed it will be.
Thanks...!
Old 18-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered User

Talking

i dont know.
Old 26-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Registered User

Thanks,
I'm looking at grow lights and stuff now.

__________________
girard perragaux watches girard perregaux girard perregaux watch girard perregaux watches graham watches home furniture uk hublot watch-21 hublot watches
Old 01-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Registered User

I have found over the years that only a handful of Bonsai trees will survive indoors, you have to remember that these are still trees and need to be outside and in conditions that the species thrive in.
Old 20-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered User

I really want to grow from the seeds of different varieties. I like the small size of the tree (less than 10 "), may eventually try to Some forest style and mini bonsai.I know, bonsai is a bit ambitious, but it is I am most interested.

Bonsai indoors Bill[_16_] Gardening 7 15-05-2008 01:05 AM
Can a red maple bonsai be kept indoors? Rich Bonsai 3 17-12-2003 11:47 PM
[IBC] Can a red maple bonsai be kept indoors? Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 4 16-12-2003 04:42 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Gardening 2 24-02-2003 11:17 AM
Growing greens indoors JTULL5 Edible Gardening 5 28-01-2003 11:37 PM